Speed Awareness Course

Associate
I did one of these, 36 in a 30 (....), showed me some pictures of dead people, belittled me a bit, holier than thou speeches and a form to complete, oh and £60 for the privilege.

retarded in the extreme but a cleaner license as a result.

Mine was very similar and was in Leeds about a year ago.

Caporegime
The course isn't too bad, but you will be worried about the other people out on the roads with you afterwards.

I went on a driver improvement course after I had an accident in which I wrote off someone's Megane. I was given a choice between a dangerous driving charge, risking a £5k fine, 6 points and 6 years in prison or something, or the course for £130. I took the course.

The course itself was fairly standard stuff - observation, awareness, not speeding, etc. All fairly dull but not too patronising as such.

The scary bit was going out driving with the instructors and the other attendees. We were put 3 to a car with an instructor. I ended up in some ancient Suzuki with 4 gears and the indicators and wipers on the wrong sides of the wheel, with HILARIOUS consequences every time I tried to indicate. Of the other drivers there was one lad who was up to his 4th crash or something and just kept asking the instructor what he could get away with and not charged if the police caught him. The other person I was with was a woman who would not put the car beyond 3rd gear no matter how fast she was going. We were going down some dual carriageway near Liverpool and she's doing 50 in third gear in a car with a lawnmower engine while the instructor begs her to change up.

Soldato
I went on one when I was 17/18. I was the youngest there, everyone else were atleast 40+.

Majority said that they didn't realise they were speeding. Was a long day though, they dragged it out.

Associate
I went on one of these courses earlier this year. I got caught by a camera in a van in a layby (first time ever done for speeding since I passed my test), doing 39 in a 30 (I'd have put the house on the limit being 40 but anyway...good thing I didn't!). It was ok, went from about 9am till 1pm or 2pm or something I think. Ironically I had to drive "a little faster than normal" to get there on time! And it wasn't my fault - I'd given myself over an hour to do a bit over 17 miles. On the way there someone's house had caught fire and completely burnt out so they'd closed the main road that I needed to use - so I had to use a load of back routes - and you can imagine the traffic! I got to the destination at about 3 minutes to 9! Ordinarily you can easily do the journey in about half an hour or so.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
bad luck I had one of these and each of us in classroom had to stand up one at a time...

'what did you get your ticket for'

'37 in a 30'

'what was the first thing that went through your mind when you got the ticket'

'i was suprised as I'm usually going a lot quicker through that piece of road'

.....everyone sniggered.

he then explained in a patonising voice, 'there is a school in that road isn't there', I was happy to reply 'it was xmas day so I thought the risks of small children exiting school low'

We then got to watch some safety videos, about some guy getting frustrated in traffic. I then got picked on again and was asked what he could do to reduce stress in traffic... I said....

'get a bike'

At end you have to stand up and say you've learnt something or they fail you and give the points, just have to say 'speed kill mkay' or similar. :(

Last edited:
Associate
I went on one of these courses earlier this year. I got caught by a camera in a van in a layby (first time ever done for speeding since I passed my test), doing 39 in a 30 (I'd have put the house on the limit being 40 but anyway...good thing I didn't!). It was ok, went from about 9am till 1pm or 2pm or something I think. Ironically I had to drive "a little faster than normal" to get there on time! And it wasn't my fault - I'd given myself over an hour to do a bit over 17 miles. On the way there someone's house had caught fire and completely burnt out so they'd closed the main road that I needed to use - so I had to use a load of back routes - and you can imagine the traffic! I got to the destination at about 3 minutes to 9!

Fair play :)

It made me chuckle when everyone leaving the learning centre practically flew out of the place on mine. Never heard so many high revs in a car park before :p

Associate
Fair play :)

It made me chuckle when everyone leaving the learning centre practically flew out of the place on mine. Never heard so many high revs in a car park before :p

Yeah was a little like that at mine! The burnt out house must've been quite serious as well because of the road closure and that - it was on the local BBC Spotlight news on the TV later that day!

Permabanned
I've been on one of these awareness courses. Wasn't to graphic.

I think all new drivers should be made to go on one. It's a real eye opener. When I was 17, I just didn't see danger at all or realise what can happen when speeding etc.

Soldato
I've been on one of these awareness courses. Wasn't to graphic.

I think all new drivers should be made to go on one. It's a real eye opener. When I was 17, I just didn't see danger at all or realise what can happen when speeding etc.

Why only new drivers? Many new drivers are very aware of the dangers of speeding so why only pick them out? The reason these courses are there are for people who broke the rule, not those who haven't done anything wrong.

Don
Why only new drivers? Many new drivers are very aware of the dangers of speeding so why only pick them out? The reason these courses are there are for people who broke the rule, not those who haven't done anything wrong.

I guess the longer you drive for the more you are exposed to speed in your own car and speed in the cars of others, you point is a good one though regardless

Permabanned

All drivers then. Everyone should see the dangers of what can happen when things go wrong, especially new drivers who have not had the chance to break any rules yet.

Soldato
These course vary quite considerably by area. I've done the Lancashire one a few years ago now and I went with the usual CBA this will be a load of speed kills mantra and came away really positive.

There was about an hour and half in a classroom with some videos about hazards and a bit of a round the room discussion about why people speed, but then we got 2 hrs out in a car with a driving instructor (shared with someone else, so about an hours drive) who pointed out a few bad habits and gave a bit of advanced driving tuition.

I've never been caught speeding since so perhaps they really work.

Back
Top Bottom