Star Wars to go 3D!

Soldato
Has been announced today that all 6 Star Wars films are to be converted to 3D starting with Episode 1 due for release in 2012!

Seems 3D tv is gonna take off now then....

Soldato
Lucas is a hack. He did a wise thing by passing on the directing to other people with Empire and Jedi, shame that by the time he came to make the prequels he didn't do the same.

People are supposed to get wiser as they age. George is the opposite.

Edit: More on topic of the films going 3D. It will be nice for some to see them in 3D, but you can bet your foot, Lucas will look on it as an opportunity to bugger about with the films some more. Hell why not, it's all about money isn't it.

Last edited:
Associate
People are supposed to get wiser as they age. George is the opposite.

Edit: More on topic of the films going 3D. It will be nice for some to see them in 3D, but you can bet your foot, Lucas will look on it as an opportunity to bugger about with the films some more. Hell why not, it's all about money isn't it.

He's not wiser but certainly a lot richer. I'm sure I had seen an interview about 2 years ago when he discussed this.

Soldato
Seems 3D tv is gonna take off now then....

lol why? it wont be true 3d it will be added BS to make a quick buck for Mr L.
man if anyone pays to see eps1-3 again just bc it has fake 3d they need their head examined.

give me the simple and effective re-release of BTTF over this star wars BS anyday.

Soldato
I believe he didn't like the idea of 3D, then a certain Mr Cameron made a 3D film, which changed Lucas' mind. He saw the massive profits, and thought, I'd like a huge slice of that pie.

Soldato
if anyone was going to do this it was always GL -Im just waiting for the "plain" 2d br's due next year

Dont give a **** about 3D at all (even before Avatar gave me a migraine)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think I really care what Lucas does, if he would just release the unmolested versions on Blu-ray. Sadly, that's about as likely as him passing up the opportunity to grab even more millions, from re-releasing Star Wars yet again in so called 3D!

Despite peoples criticisms of the cinematic versions of LotR being released on Blu-ray, rather than the extended editions, at least people will have a choice. Some people do prefer the cinematic versions, but it is **** take they didn't release them simultaneously, or include the theatrical releases with the extended versions. New Line might be money grabbing so and so's, but at least people will get the choice of theatrical or extended, once the extended versions are released. Thanks to Lucas though, and his endless meddling, people who would dearly love the unmolested Star Wars films in HD, wont get them.

Soldato
It always baffles me when the haters come out crying, "Cash cow this, rip off that." He is a businessman. He is in it to make money and most business minded people make money by targeting a growing industry... Star Wars is Lucas' franchise so why should he **** about with it and change it how he sees fit?

Associate
I seem to remember reading that one film will come out a year, so the six films won't be finished until 2017. Whether that is true or not I don't know. My point is surely by then we will have gone past Blu-ray and moved onto the next format. I think they should forget the 3D and just do some proper Blu-ray transfers and get them out as soon as they can.

Soldato
OP
Guys n gals, you're missing my point!
What I was getting at is that this announcement, plus a few others shows that we're going to have 3D for a fair while and that it's not just a passing thing. It looks like shortly the majority of films will be available in 3D in far more places....

Associate
Guys n gals, you're missing my point!
What I was getting at is that this announcement, plus a few others shows that we're going to have 3D for a fair while and that it's not just a passing thing. It looks like shortly the majority of films will be available in 3D in far more places....

I do not think 3D movies will drive 3D tv sales, well not in a major scale. It will be a long time till the majority of movies go 3d, as costs to movie makers as well as cinemas are large. And before 3d can truely be here we first need people upgrading from dvd to blu-ray. Not going to happen for a while - I mean look at HD tv takeup.

Back
Top Bottom