DFI mobo + SSD help request

Associate
Hi guys,

I was hoping one of you chaps can help me.

I'm currently using a DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-D mobo (socket 939) and am looking to purchase an SSD to help speed things up a bit. However, I can't seem to see an AHCI option so that it can work with TRIM and Win7 in the BIOS.

Does anyone know how I can get maximum read/write performance out of my machine using an SSD, based on the parameters I need to set in the BIOS? Or is it not possible with my set up?

Associate
OP
I was thinking about getting one of the OCZ disks that this site has on offer, which I understand supports TRIM(?).

Is it just a simple matter of choosing IDE if I don't have AHCI? Is it detrimental to the performance and lifespan of the disk?

Soldato
i have a intel 80gb and when i got a dfi ut 790fx to replace an asus board that died on me. that board did have an achi option, but not on the dfi, so in the end i just left it on native ide. you will not be able to use hot swapping or Native Command Queueing and an ssd might not be as fast in ide but unless you're benching you probably wont notice any difference. choosing ide and enabling trim will help with the lifespan of the disk. dont let the lack of ahci put you off getting an ssd, it is an excellent upgrade.
hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Thank you. So if I purchased the OCZ Vertex 2E with GC embedded, I shouldn't need to worry about the absence of TRIM from my system at all? I should expect clean-ups as long as the system is idle and GC kicks in?

Back
Top Bottom