Subwoofer help

Associate
Hi guys,

I've just recently purchased a Sony STRDH510 and I've got it all connected but I don't have a sub.

I'm using 2 relatively large fronts and medium sized rears, here are some pictures of them CLICKY

I was wondering, would a sub be worth it (I don't need a room shaking one, maybe just a smallish one).

Any suggestions are welcomes :)

Cheers

Associate
OP
I've only found one of those mate, they seem to be about £200. That's quite a bit more than what I wanted to spend really, I only have a relatively small room :)

Associate
I just got an eltax rumble for £59 new of the bay. Its not the best sub in the world by a long way. However it has made my system sound a lot better as it does all the bass now leaving the fronts etc for the rest.

For £59 what have you got to loose!

Associate
OP
Check the instructions on how to send all the bass frequencies to the front left & right speakers. There may not be any need to buy a Subwoofer then.

That's not a bad idea, I might have a look into that.

I'm guessing I'm "missing" some audio not having a sub because the sub is the ".1" of the system, is this true?

Cheers

Soldato
I use Big floor standing speakers but at even fairly moderate listening levels deep sub effects really hammered the drivers. Especially starship engines in scifi stuff. I bought a budget sub for movies and it just makes the main speakers much more relaxed. I still have full frequency set on them but the .1 channel is just handled by the sub. I would recommend a sub even a cheapo.

Associate
OP
I use Big floor standing speakers but at even fairly moderate listening levels deep sub effects really hammered the drivers. Especially starship engines in scifi stuff. I bought a budget sub for movies and it just makes the main speakers much more relaxed. I still have full frequency set on them but the .1 channel is just handled by the sub. I would recommend a sub even a cheapo.

Cheers for your advice mate, I think I'll take a trip down Richersounds. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Soldato
I think a decent sub is one of those things that's worth saving up for a good one. A decent sub, even a small one will reach down low and avoid the typical WUMP WUMP WUMP you get from a cheap one (and some expensive ones come to that) with a large cone. And makes a hell of difference. Any of the BK, even the entry level subs are great value for money with impressive results.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just use a entry level Sony sub calibrated using a sound meter. It's ok and makes the system sound more relaxed. That said one day I will swap for a REL sub. That monolith does look like a viable alternative. But overkill when you look at the gear the op has for speakers right now.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies again guys, appreciate it.

As Corasik said, that sub is really overkill for the setup I have. It's only really a basic setup I have so when people come round we can watch a film, have a few beers and just chill out really.

I have old next door neighbours as well so they wouldn't really appreciate huge bass from one of those high ends subs.

I'm probably better going with one of those entry subs, something like the eltax rumble.

Cheers

Soldato
So previously he turned down a GeminiII as £200 was more than he wanted to spend, and you suggest a sub that costs DOUBLE. Well done... :p
My mistake was rushing into a thread giving a recommendation on a subwoofer that I own :o, whereas your contribution to this thread doesn't help the OP in anyway whatsoever well done :).

Soldato
My mistake was rushing into a thread giving a recommendation on a subwoofer that I own :o, whereas your contribution to this thread doesn't help the OP in anyway whatsoever well done :).

1-all draw, then lol.

OP i'd seriously consider saving some cash. if you dont like the idea of spending £200 then look for a second hand subwoofer that originally retailed for £200. ie, a 2nd hand Gemini. Otherwise i seriously wouldnt bother as you'll be looking at subwoofers that are more woofer than sub if you know what i mean - lots of noise but nothing especially effective.

Back
Top Bottom