Chabgung the FS in Linux without reinstalling?

Soldato
Chabgung? :confused: :p

A bit tricky, but not impossible.

You could :
1. Boot from a Live CD.
2. Mount your install partition(s).
3. Back up everything into a tar archive ( Preserve permissions! ).
4. Format install partition with a different filesystem ( ext3? ).
5. Restore from tar archive.

Some loooong guide below, some of which I don't agree with, but a good starting point :

http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-migrate-ext4-partitions-to-ext3.html

Soldato
OP
Chabgung? :confused: :p

A bit tricky, but not impossible.

You could :
1. Boot from a Live CD.
2. Mount your install partition(s).
3. Back up everything into a tar archive ( Preserve permissions! ).
4. Format install partition with a different filesystem ( ext3? ).
5. Restore from tar archive.

Some loooong guide below, some of which I don't agree with, but a good starting point :

http://duopetalflower.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-migrate-ext4-partitions-to-ext3.html

Hmmm, maybe easier to just reinstall huh, thought you could just convert it like you can in windows & I am still trying to figure out why Ubuntu 10.04 is randomly freezing. That is why I thought of this, someone siad it might be EXT4 in Ubuntu.

Soldato
As with Windows, you can convert from old to new. ext3 to ext4, Fat32 to NTFS.

As with Windows, there's no converting from new to old.

Man of Honour
I would run Prime95 before reinstalling. Seriously it doesn't make much sense to attempt to try out everything before actually testing them out. First thing's first, check that your hardware is completely stable. Unless you have solid basis for changing the filesystem or anything it's really a bad idea. If you have specific error messages that point to a problem then sure but right now it seems almost as if you're typing "crash linux" into google and thinking everything that returns is a viable reason for why your system is unstable.

Soldato
OP
Someone from the Ubuntu forums I emailed my message & xorg.0 log files to said this error
wlan0: IPv6 duplicate address fe80::213:f7ff:fee5:83e0 detected! said it means it might be my wireless card it is a SMC EZConnect g. Any way I can get the exact model in linux. So I can see if SMC has a linux driver?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Heh ok :D You've not taken in a word of what I've said have you :p you'll be able to check the hardware on your system with lspci, lsusb, dmesg, Ubuntu might even have a hardware listy thing in one of the menus. GL Ed!

Soldato
OP
Heh ok :D You've not taken in a word of what I've said have you :p you'll be able to check the hardware on your system with lspci, lsusb, dmesg, Ubuntu might even have a hardware listy thing in one of the menus. GL Ed!

:D I have everything, but the part number, that is a bit of a pain to see, SMC has linux drivers. :) Would be nice if others did the unified driver thing like Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom