Is this true?

Soldato
Hi there,

So I was given a free upgrade to 20Mb broadband by my ISP (Utility Warehouse) and they sent me a new router which is a Thomson TG585 v7.

They seem to suggest that the speed will only be available if I use thier router....I currently have a nice DrayTek Vigor.

Is this really true?

Caporegime
If you plug it into one of the switch ports on the Draytek, you might as well not bother. You're only using it as a switch so you're gaining nothing at all, especially with the 585 in bridged mode (so you'd only be able to connect one device too).

Soldato
If you plug it into one of the switch ports on the Draytek, you might as well not bother. You're only using it as a switch so you're gaining nothing at all, especially with the 585 in bridged mode (so you'd only be able to connect one device too).

He could use port forwarding to get to the router? The draytek could act as a hardware firewall, VPN?

Caporegime
Port forwarding to...what?

Without connecting the 585 to the Draytek's WAN interface, which if it's got an ADSL modem attached isn't possible, you've just turned the Draytek into an overpriced switch which won't function any better than the 585's (unless they're GigE, but the point stands).
Obviously if it's got an ethernet WAN you're cooking with gas.

Back
Top Bottom