ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Soldato
OP
Alright I've gone out and bought a USB pen drive, and the USB doesn't show up on my boot menu (on my laptop, I do not know about my desktop yet, will try at home tomorrow), I ran the linked USB installer from the ubuntu website, and as far as I can tell the image got onto my drive just fine, but when I go into the BIOS on startup and over to "Boot", there is no option for "USB Device" or "Removable Storage" etc., just my laptop's HDD, the CD/DVD Drive and the Network.

Is there anything I should try or do to get the USB bootable on my laptop, or just accept the laptop doesn't accept bootable USBs and try and find a CD to burn the image to? (My laptop is an msi CX600, if it matters)

Soldato
you have to make it bootable. google it :) it may not necessarily work on your laptop, check bios settings to ensure you can boot from usb!

surely anyone would've bought a disk instead of a usb in terms of pricing?

Soldato
OP
you have to make it bootable. google it :) it may not necessarily work on your laptop, check bios settings to ensure you can boot from usb!

surely anyone would've bought a disk instead of a usb in terms of pricing?

I needed a USB drive anyway :)

The USB is bootable, the BIOS, however, is not USB bootable. I'll pick up a disc at home and try again :D

Associate
The USB is bootable, the BIOS, however, is not USB bootable. I'll pick up a disc at home and try again :D
It depends on your individual BIOS, but some prefer you to select the *hard drive* as the first bootable device, then go into the HDD submenu and bump the USB stick to the top.

That's assuming your USB stick can be actually made bootable, some just don't seem to play ball whatever you do with them...

Soldato
OP
Alright i used the USB on my desktop and it still gives the same message on startup... I'll leave it until 10.10 comes out and try again.

Soldato
OP
I've managed to get into 10.4 now from a CD, but I can't install it :(

I also seem to have lost Windows, I've really made a mess of this :D On the startup, if I try to boot from HDD I get "BOOTMGR lost" (not sure of the exact message) "Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart", before reaching a screen to select between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

I'm running Ubuntu fine in demo right now, but when I go to install, on Step 4, for the "Prepare Partitions" page, I get this:

5067288881_415cfd4068_b.jpg

Any ideas? I know I'm probably being way too vague to get this sorted but if you need me to find anything out just let me know what, and how to find it, as I'm totally new to Ubuntu :S

Associate
I've managed to get into 10.4 now from a CD, but I can't install it :(

I also seem to have lost Windows, I've really made a mess of this :D On the startup, if I try to boot from HDD I get "BOOTMGR lost" (not sure of the exact message) "Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart", before reaching a screen to select between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

I'm running Ubuntu fine in demo right now, but when I go to install, on Step 4, for the "Prepare Partitions" page, I get this:

Any ideas? I know I'm probably being way too vague to get this sorted but if you need me to find anything out just let me know what, and how to find it, as I'm totally new to Ubuntu :S

I assume from your running programs that you can access your hard drive?

Have you tried installing from the CDs boot menu rather than from within Ubuntu?

Associate
At a quick guess you may have partily installed Ubuntu and then deleted the partion afterwards because you could not get it to work. Beause the Grub bootloader was in place you have lost your Win7 bootmgr as well. Done it myself loads of times :)

Get your Win 7 install working first.

Boot to your Win 7 installation disk and select the startup repair option. You may have to do this a couple of times to get it to work. If not you have the command prompt option to try as well. But try the startup repair option first.

Your getting that screen showing no HDD to partition because Ubuntu cannot see the drive at the moment

Once you do get back into your Win7 I suggest you go to disk management and just clean up your drive and generally get it tided up before starting again :)

Your not alone... I've done this much damage loads of times on my lappy trying to get a dual booting system... it's trial and error... even though it's very frustrating :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I probably should have backed up all my files before trying this :S

I've managed to get into the Windows installer, but at some point in the installation I've cancelled my RAID on one of the discs, without thinking so one of the HDD's thinks it's running a 1TB Raid setup (500gb disc) and the other has the Linux OS on it, so Windows can't install to that.

Is there an iso I should use to format both discs and set up the RAID again, then do a clean Windows install, and find another HDD to install Ubuntu? I want to give it a go, but I'll do it when I have more time to get everything set up, if I was struggling to get Flash 64 bit working i can only imagine how much more I can screw up, so i'll do it at christmas when I have time off :D

Back
Top Bottom