Random MAC address - why?

Man of Honour
MAC addresses are supposed to be fixed, right? Well not in my case. I kept getting new network adapters appear every time I rebooted my laptop and sat down to investigate last night.

Turns out that every time I reboot, the MAC address of my wired network adapter changes.

I've eliminated all driver and OS-related issues (PXE boot handily displays the MAC address, so there's not even an OS loaded at that point).

Anyone got any ideas?

System: Asus UL30A. Chipset: Atheros AR8132

Caporegime
Dodgy BIOS battery? They're not really as fixed as claimed but obviously it shouldn't be changing when you reboot.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, the system BIOS settings (inc. RTC) are fine, so that battery is good.

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't keep forgetting network settings because it's considered a new adapter. Having 20+ defunct network adapters probably isn't a good idea either.

I could get around most of it in Linux with some udev magic, but no such luck in Windows.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Very odd. Is there any similiarity to the MACs? Im thinking specifically about the first 6 digits which identifies the manufacturer. I've never seen anything like that before.

When you do a PXE boot is the MAC different each time there as well?

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, there is similarity. Seems to be one of 64K addresses - i.e. xx:xx:00:00:xx:xx through xx:xx:FF:FF:xx:xx.

MAC address does indeed follow this pattern during PXE boot.

I've found a few other reports of this with ASUS and/or Gigabyte boards. Something to do with them being assigned an invalid MAC. I don't recall this machine doing this when it was new, however.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Very odd, the only thing I could think ofis a faulty controller chip on the motherboard.

If you have a spare tenner and PCI port its probably worth picking up a new NIC as the easiest solution.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Ahh, if its covered under warranty then Id deff send it back. Thats got to be a hardware fault.

Back
Top Bottom