Huyandai w240D kaput ?

Associate
Think that my lovely huyandai w240d-pva died on me yesterday.

The blue light comes on but the screen stays black. I tried connecting it using hdmi rather than dvi cable and same result.

i conected it to a different pc, still stays black.

i have connected my old Neovo f-419 to my 5850 and have the w240 attached.

Viewing catalyst center via the neovo shows that the w240 is detected. It is detected on a hdma and dvi cable. I can also change the resoultion and refresh rates via catalyst. but noting i do makes an image appear on the w240.

wondered what would be the most likey fault based on the above. the w240 doesnt appear to be totally dead, it just wont display any image.

I purchased this monitor in september 2008. so it has lasted just under 25 months. 11 months left on the warranty .

Associate
OP
It seems that a lot of posters on this forum have had problems with warranty repairs for huyandai care of repair tech.

my emails to repairtech went either unanswered or auto " away from the office" reply. I finally got to talk to someone today and sent them my invoice . now awaiting a call or email to arrange collection.......

So i bit the bullet and ordered a new 24 Hp monitor. Hopefully the HP will last longer than 2 years .using my old Mitsubishi 22 inch CRT monster in the interim. Bought the Mitsu back in 1998 for £500 . 11 years old and still going strong !

Associate
It seems that a lot of posters on this forum have had problems with warranty repairs for huyandai care of repair tech.

my emails to repairtech went either unanswered or auto " away from the office" reply. I finally got to talk to someone today and sent them my invoice . now awaiting a call or email to arrange collection.......

So i bit the bullet and ordered a new 24 Hp monitor. Hopefully the HP will last longer than 2 years .using my old Mitsubishi 22 inch CRT monster in the interim. Bought the Mitsu back in 1998 for £500 . 11 years old and still going strong !

Yep quite a few people have this monitor and found that its given up on them anywhere between 12 and 24 months ish (including me).Yours sounds like the same problem i had and if your dealing with repairtech expect between 2 to 4 months before getting it back :(.This site is littered with tales of horror of this monitor and repair techs slow/poor reapairs of it.

Dont EVER buy this monitor people,yes its a nice looker but i think its only a matter of when not if it goes **** up.Oh and for hyundai`s **** poor service if they ever enter the monitor market again give em a wide birth also ;)

Yours

Dash

Soldato
I had a similar problem a while back which i got sorted under warranty repair.

Seemed like the backlight wasn't firing up. Could see the image if a bright light was shone onto it but looked black otherwise. :(

Hope you get it sorted ASAP - performance wise they're very good gaming monitors. :)

gt

Associate
OP
huyandai have really dropped a clanger here. I really liked my w240d . but the poor warranty situation means that i will never buy another huyandi. If they ever do reenter the
monitor market they have lost a lot of potential sales by their warranty fiasco. 2-4 months with no screen is not much of a warranty. Pretty much forces people to buy a new 24 inch screen .

on a more positive note i recieved my HP ZR24w today and i am pretty happy with it. I was sorely tempted to grab a philips 240PW9EB which uses the same panel as the HP LP2475W and is £100 cheaper. However some google searching didnt show too many positve reviews of philips aftercare. So i went for the HP. hopefully no warranty nonscence if it ever goes wrong.

Associate
OP
so 14 days after repair tech pick it up i still havent had any contact from them. Not even an email confirming recipt of the monitor or anything letting me know what is going on.

i called repair tech today and they tell me that an inverter and a tft panel is on order but they refuse to give me any timescale for the repair turnaround , all they will say is that the parts are on order. I am a little worried that they said TFT and not specifically PVA panel.

i suggest to them that they must have some idea on how long parts take to get to them but they will not budge from their unhelpfull attitude.

pretty useless warranty to be honest.

Associate
I sent mine in around September 23rd. Heard nothing back so sent them an e-mail a couple of weeks ago. They're waiting for a part. I expected a 2-4 month wait because of another thread on here. It's such a pain in the ass having to make do with my older 19" screen. At least I have a backup, a lot of people won't.

I will never buy another Hyundai product, not even a car from them. They have lost me as a customer for life.

Associate
I got mine back today and it looks like they haven't even tried to fix it. Nearly 2 and a half months waiting and it comes back in the same state I sent it. I will have to send it back again. This is ridiculous, what are my rights here? I'm going to be 4-5 months without my monitor assuming it takes them another two months.

Associate
OP
so its 2 months now since repairtech took teh screen away. i called them today same old, parts are on order , no idea when we wil get them line.

hi seph

are you saying that you have recieved it back from repairtech after 3 months and it hasnt been repaired or that the repair has failed or that they were unable to repair it ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

They sent me the monitor back saying it had been repaired, but I switched it on and after 20 minutes the same fault was there making it unusable. It seems they tried to fix it by putting in any random part and then not testing it properly.

It was supposed to be picked up again for another repair last tuesday, but no one came. I assume the snow had something to do with it but the roads have been fine since thursday/friday.

I tried to call today but as usual on hold for nearly 10 minutes. I gave up, sent them an e-mail, no response yet.

I'm at the point where I want a refund. With this kind of awful service they should be giving me compensation for the months I've been without it and all that money wasted on phone calls.

I am tempted to write a complaint letter to the head of Repair Tech. Not that it will do any good. But what can I do? I can't just write off a screen that cost £350 just over 2 years ago. Should I complain to the place I bought it?

Soldato
That is "Repair" Tech for you, currently in a similar situation and I've had previous bad experiences with them. Going to try and phone again tomorrow.

After the experiences I've had over the years I'd NEVER EVER buy a monitor with any kind of repair warranty again and I always steer people clear of them.

Associate
Well I learned the hard way. And to think I thought Hyundai was a respectable brand name.

I'm sure they're as much at fault as Repair Tech. I'll be avoiding both.

My monitor got picked up yesterday, almost three months after the first time they picked it up. It's a pain in the ass not being able to use my PS3 and having to use this small 19" screen on my PC.

Associate
I can also attest to hyundai's poor reliability and even poorer customer support.

I hadn't had the W240D-PVA 2 years before it started failing and getting in touch with the hyundai repairtech dept was a struggle. The phoneline was down that I used the first time and I had to basically send an email of complaint asking to speak to the head of department about it, they told me to try again after the weekend and suddenly the support line was back up. After getting them to finally pick it up, I hadn't heard from them in over a month, so again I had to phone them to see what had happened and it didnt seem like they knew either probably just left to the side and forgotten about.

They said they'd see what happened with my return and came back and said they will send me a replacement(which I assumed was going to be a brand new one), when I got it back, it turned out the replacement was a) Not a PVA model b) Not in as good condition as the one I sent them back... I phoned them back and told them it wasnt the right model but they said I've accepted the replacement and there was nothing they could do. :/

The replacement started having the same checkered blue pattern as the one I sent back the second day but as I wacked the side of the unit in frustration it appeared to shift it. It's held up about 3 months and now its on its last legs this past fornight Ive not been able to use it for anything too demanding or the screen flickers and fades into blackness.

So yeah avoid them at all costs and repairtech too.

I've ordered a Samsung XL2370, would have been nice to get the XL2370HD for the extra input options but the slower response and extra cost didnt make it seem worth it. I got a good deal on it anyway £179 delivered plus £5 cashback.

Btw do Samsung have a zero dead pixel policy in the UK now? Hyundais policy was terrible, another reason to avoid them as if we didnt have enough reasons already.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worth pointing out that Hyundai and Repair Tech are not the same thing. Hyundia simply pay Repair Tech to deal with warranty returns. So sure you could blame them for hiring a poor company, but you can't really slate Hyundai CS when it is not them you are actually dealing with.

Associate
From what I gathered, Repairtech have different departments for different manufacturers, hence I said "Hyundai repairtech"(the line was completely down for a couple of weeks when I tried to get in touch after finding the number... I then tried repairtechs main number after finding that who told me something along them lines if I remember rightly), if it weren't for repairtech, Hyundai's customer support would be none existant afterall(unless you want to call the hyundai website customer support, in which case we have very different deffinitions of the term, Ive seen the site and visited that section I scoped out all my options)... Repairtech is Hyundai's customer support so no it wasn't worth pointing out sorry. Which ever way you want to look at it Hyundai's customer support is poor, very poor. ;)

Both firms are completely incompetent it has to be said, hiring them to me seems like a half assed attempt to tick off a few boxes to make themselves look like they stack up against their competitors where they dont at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Id get a Dell if I could afford one, I think Samsung and Benq seem to be the best choices providing you can get a bargain price on them. I haven't seen many bargains on Dell monitors, aside from the end of the line 24 inch IPS clearance a month or two back which I only noticed recently... I wouldn't have minded one of them.

Also just seen a review of one of the upcoming LG flatron IPS monitors, looks like they will be popular but Im guessing they wont be cheap for a good while yet so theres no way I could have waited that long.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Worth pointing out that Hyundai and Repair Tech are not the same thing. Hyundia simply pay Repair Tech to deal with warranty returns. So sure you could blame them for hiring a poor company, but you can't really slate Hyundai CS when it is not them you are actually dealing with.

Repair tech and Hyundai are both at fault in this situation. repair tech standards seem pretty low with lots of people saying they received their monitor back still faulty or it re-developed a fault very soon after getting it back.

Hyundai are very well aware of the inherent defects of this monitor. There is a very obvious pattern with this monitor failing for many people at approx 18-24 months. Hyundai wont send any stock of replacement parts to repairtech.

In my particular case repairtech have ordered parts from Hyundai over 11 weeks ago. repair tech tell me they have no way of knowing when the parts will arrive as Hyundai wont tell them. Bearing in mind that the main failures with this monitor, is screen or inverter, why wont Hyundai ship say 50 of each to repairtech and then ship another batch when repairtech stock drops to 10. Thus avoiding every warranty customers 2-4 months delay .

looks like they prefer to leave customers for 2-4 months with no screen.

of course i have no way of knowing if repairtech will actually fix it properly even after they get the parts.

Back
Top Bottom