Is this complete rubbish?

Man of Honour
Through an insurance claim my mate ended up buying a PC through the blue place and for the first year the Tech Guys would provide support.
He's always built his own with OCUK parts but because of a burglary he decided to just get one already built and the insurers said he had to go there.

Anyway, he's had nothing but trouble and yesterday they told him to do something which to my mind is complete rubbish.
Now I know a bit about PCs, I've basically kept OCUK in business with all the PC's I've built/repaired over the years but I accept I don't know it all.

The Tech Guys said "You need to download this diagnostic software from the address we give you (it consists of Memtest and something else) BUT you can only download it on an XP machine and burn it on an XP machine" :confused:

Is this true?
Would it not work if you downloaded and burned on Windows 7?

Soldato
It depends really, it could be some stupidly old software that burns some files and makes the CD bootable (silly way of doing things, but I suppose it'd make it easier for the every day user back on XP).

If it's an ISO file he needs to burn, then it's actually easier to do on W7

No harm in trying on Windows 7

Soldato
I doubt it would make much difference to what OS you downloaded it to or burning it to CD/DVD. The site may however check your OS before downloading tho.

Man of Honour
My understanding of it would be as Craig321 says, I'd be rather doubtful that you couldn't just burn it from a Windows 7 PC but whether it would run properly from the Windows 7 PC even in a compatability mode is another question entirely.

Why not just try it and see? Worst case scenario you've wasted 10 minutes and made a coaster.

Permabanned
Windows 7 has MemTest (or a derivative of it) built in. Christ, MemTest doesn't even work from within an OS so what version of Windows he has is irrelevant. Even Linux ISOs burn with MemTest on them as standard these days.

It really irks me that big companies give names like 'Tech Guys', 'Geek Squad' and 'Geniuses' to their tech support monkeys whose intellectual extent seems to be RTFM and regurgitate.

Soldato
Windows 7 has MemTest (or a derivative of it) built in. Christ, MemTest doesn't even work from within an OS so what version of Windows he has is irrelevant. Even Linux ISOs burn with MemTest on them as standard these days.

It really irks me that big companies give names like 'Tech Guys', 'Geek Squad' and 'Geniuses' to their tech support monkeys whose intellectual extent seems to be RTFM and regurgitate.

What would you suggest they called them? Its nothing other than marketing - the name suggests that they are the department that deals with the technical issues and customer service problems. The only thing I have an issue with is the referring to staff members as engineers.

I suppose you have a problem with the name River Island. Considering that it is not actually a River or an Island.

OP: The advice is to download a diagnostic utility which does indeed contain memtest and various hdd diags on a bootable CD. The reason XP is advised is that the downloaded file (as I remember) is not simply an ISO, but an exe which automates the cd creation process for the end user (doesn't require burning utilities) and as I am aware, is only guaranteed compatible with XP (though may work with other Windows versions).

Other options include visiting a local store who should be able to burn a copy of the utility disk for you FOC.

Man of Honour
OP
OP: The advice is to download a diagnostic utility which does indeed contain memtest and various hdd diags on a bootable CD. The reason XP is advised is that the downloaded file (as I remember) is not simply an ISO, but an exe which automates the cd creation process for the end user (doesn't require burning utilities) and as I am aware, is only guaranteed compatible with XP (though may work with other Windows versions).

That sounds logical - thanks.

Why not just use the built in memory test in Win7? That's just a modified version of memtest, is it not?

Because:
a) He didn't know Windows 7 had one
b) Even if he did, his PC was locking up as soon as it booted to Windows.

Permabanned
What would you suggest they called them? Its nothing other than marketing - the name suggests that they are the department that deals with the technical issues and customer service problems. The only thing I have an issue with is the referring to staff members as engineers.

I suppose you have a problem with the name River Island. Considering that it is not actually a River or an Island.

Marketing is fine, lying is not. Every one of the people who wear the shirts associated with those groups that I have come into contact with are freaking morons. That's like labelling a Sainsbury's Basics tin of beans as a Heinz tin of beans. It's a lie.

And seriously? The River Island comment? Why do people on these boards think adding stupid flippant comments make their arguments more competent? Did nobody ever teach you that belittling the person you're arguing against does not belittle their point? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom