New fibre exchange list, now including FTTP!

Man of Honour
Knowing BT and the OAP population of Eastbourne they will start this when the world ends in 2012 :p

Try Sovereign Harbour. Until recently, 0.3Mbit/s (despite what Samknows said). :/

As an ex-BT customer, I'm not sure I could stomach going back. Would be very nice to get a speed boost, but £12/mo for unlimited 7down/1up is hard to argue against.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. Postcode lottery.

Suspected as much. But BT's checker shows that 10 houses in my road are eligible and the remaining 50 aren't. It's a pretty compact road and the 10 houses down as getting it are the furthest ones from the exchange. Doesn't make sense!

Soldato
Suspected as much. But BT's checker shows that 10 houses in my road are eligible and the remaining 50 aren't. It's a pretty compact road and the 10 houses down as getting it are the furthest ones from the exchange. Doesn't make sense!

hi mate, how can you check which houses are going to get it? it gives me a date of march 2010 - the cabinet is approximately 50-100m from my house.

i should be able to get full speed with it only being that far away dont you think?

Associate
EDINBURGH WAVERLEY FTTC/P Dec 2011

YES LAD!

having said that im on virgin 50mb atm... but i spose eventually other companies will get their mits on the fiber :D

Same as me mate, but what about the FUP's? I'm on Be Unlimited at the moment and they never complain no matter how much I slam my connection...

Soldato
@Vampyre FUPs are good on the 50mb atm. but they are due a change when we get the 5mb upload upgrade so then it might all suck. Im more exicted about the FTTP for other companies getting access to the fiber and giving an epic service. such as BE with fiber to the home? yes please.

Caporegime
There's evidence in so far as there's the regulatory steps for an LLU-with-fibre product and it seems unlikely they'll stick with ADSL2+ forever.
As far as I'm aware they've never come out and said they're going to do anything with FTTC but you wouldn't expect that till they're close to selling it anyway...

Edit: More on LLU-with-fibre here, proper name VULA.

Associate
Unless you take into account the location of the nearest cabinet. Obviously, I don't know where that is, so it still may not make sense.

Is this talk of Be* offering FTTC/FTTP pie in the sky stuff, or is there actually some evidence behind it?

Be* definitely want to offer FTTC and are looking into it. They ran a survey a few months ago to find out what people wanted from FTTC.

There's a couple of posts about it on the Be* blog:

http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2010/07/tom-talks-about-fibre.html

http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2010/07/tom-talks-about-fibre-part-two.html

"We think we know what’s important (shout out to upload speed) in the development of this product. We just need, now, to find a cost-effective way of getting it to you.

That’s where we’re at. We hope to give you more updates soon."

Soldato
Nothing yet, but we've still got an 8MBit exchange, not even had it's ADSL2+ upgrade yet so I suspect FTTC/P is a very long way off.

Still, i'm content with 6.8MBit. :D

Soldato
DONNINGTON - Shropshire - FTTC - Dec 2011.

Sad Mattey :(

Just down the road from me but I'm connected to a different exchange :(

What a prat BT is ! Donnington exchange is few residental on it but why not on Cuckoo Oak exchange ? It had more residental than Donnington.

I hate BT! They always choose a strange small one and not a biggest exchange!

Donnington exchange: 6,670 residential premises
354 non-residential premises

Cuckoo Oak: 7,430 residential premises
457 non-residential premises

I couldn't believe that BT The Race to Infinity is only limit until December 2010 (time is running out) here at Cuckoo Oak:

Cuckoo Oak

Telford and Wrekin

Percentage of votes

0.23%

18 votes have been cast out of a total of 7,887 (need another 7,869 votes before December 2010) :(

'VOTE NOW' and your area could be next to enjoy superfast broadband

Can see BT Q&A as it really pointless and waste of time (only the top 5 winners will get fibre) : How do you decide the winning exchange?
The winners will be the top 5 exchanges who have received the most votes as a % of their exchange as of 31st December. Voters will be able to see how many votes they have and the exchange size on the website, www.bt.com/racetoinfinity. Just enter your postcode and you’ll be taken to your telephone exchange. An exchange needs to first get 1,000 votes before it can join the race to be one of the winners.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've moved from one side of truro to the other
gone from 15mb to 5mb.

People who live in Threemilestone tell me that they can only get about 1Mb.

In Truro proper here and I'm getting 11Mb from TT's LLU. Good enough until BT puts some fibre in, whenever that will be.

Associate
For those worrying about the estimated speed.

My ADSL2 estimated speed says 4.5meg and I get 9meg. So I guess with good internal wiring, a good router and good ISP that lets you change SNR values, you should be able to get higher than the estimate if you are lucky!

Back
Top Bottom