BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen

Soldato
Sorry if this is all a bit confusing. First have a read of this post http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17517308&postcount=17

And then for a bit of light reading - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18191844&highlight=username_pcm2. Note that I am now fairly confident that the B2430L is actually exactly the same screen as the B2430H but it lacks an HDMI port (of no consequence if you intend to use it as a PC monitor). Samsung seems to have messed up the screen-size specifications somewhat on their website (it wouldn't be the first time). If you're particularly bored, want to broaden your perspective and possibly blow up your brain also have a read of this thread over on my forums - http://www.pcmonitors.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6. It discusses the 'options' you have for gaming monitors at your budget and beyond.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks mate - just reading the last link now.

So you reckon the Samsung b2430h 24" widescreen monitor, is a better option (considering the prices are much of a muchness?)

Soldato
Even considering currently pricing I do, yes... However I would recommend the B2430L at the moment. As it stands it can be had for £150 and you simply won't find anything better for that price or possibly even for £50 more. The latest research suggests it is the same as the B2430H but doesn't feature HDMI - then again, neither does the BenQ.

Associate
OP
I can find the B2430H for £168 delivered.

Is it worth the extra £18 for the HDMI?

I want a larger screen purely for gaming - my trouble is that I don't actually know what to look for!

That last link you posted is an interesting read...thanks agai :)

Soldato
Since DVI gives exactly the same image quality I wouldn't pay an extra £18 just for HDMI. If you plan on connecting a console or other such devices, perhaps in the future, then HDMI is nice to have. But for pure PC use I'd prefer £18 ;).

Soldato
That's answered in the first link, but to summarise - the image quality is just a bit better. Colour gradients are smoother and dithering is less apparent (on certain sky textures on Bad Company 2 and many darker textures this is readily apparent). The contrast is also better at 'high values' on the Samsung so that distinctions between colours are a little better. Then there is the responsiveness of the panels - similar in both cases but the Samsung does have a slight edge.

I won't add build quality into the equation as I think I've said enough about that in the past.

Associate
OP
I must admit that I upgraded my TV in the living room from an LG LCD to a Samsung, and the quality differential is massive. So much so that I purchased a smaller Sammy for my bedroom TV too.

I wouldn't know what you've said in the past as I literally jiust joined the site the other day. I haven't even been a long-time lurker or anything. However, from the links I gather that you feel the build quality of the BenQ is of the cheapish variety, and I'm pretty sure that the Samsung won't be!

Thanks for the info - it's certainly food for thought.

Soldato
Yeah - don't worry. It is difficult for newcomers, especially at the moment. Affordable consumer LCD monitors of this size are really in their prime at the moment and there is more choice than ever. A large problem is that the specifications tell you very little about what a monitor is actually like. I am fortunate in that I have access to (or can have access to) many different monitors - for most people if they don't have a working model in PC shops then they just have to rely on what others say. And there's so much conflicting information out there - so you're doing well to be digesting all of this. :D

Associate
I brought a B2430L recently from a competitor so should be coming tommorrow hopefully, I was wondering if I made a mistake not going for the H model.

What are difference between the 2 models apart from HDMI? I dont need HDMI but would there be loss in quality by me using DVI?

Soldato
I brought a B2430L recently from a competitor so should be coming tommorrow hopefully, I was wondering if I made a mistake not going for the H model.

What are difference between the 2 models apart from HDMI? I dont need HDMI but would there be loss in quality by me using DVI?

Even considering currently pricing I do, yes... However I would recommend the B2430L at the moment. As it stands it can be had for £150 and you simply won't find anything better for that price or possibly even for £50 more. The latest research suggests it is the same as the B2430H but doesn't feature HDMI - then again, neither does the BenQ.

:)

Associate

Yeah the physical specs of the monitors are the same - height/width/depth

Soldato
How does it compare to the Samsung P2450H? I've seen many positive comments about that one. And it's on offer this week.

Soldato
I haven't used it myself but considering the screen is larger and the price is cheaper... It isn't likely to offer the same level of quality as the Samsungs. That's not to say it's a bad screen.

Back
Top Bottom