What to do with my old monitor...

Soldato
My old Dell TFT 17" packed in. Replacement arriving today, so I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do with it. Seems a shame to hurl it in the bin :(

The monitor switches on for a couple of seconds then turns off again. This happens everytime you turn it on.

I could:
take it to the tip
throw it in the bin
Give it to a local independant PC shop I know
Sell it?

Any other suggestions? I've no idea if it's easily fixed, worth a few quid still, recycled or totally uselss now.

Associate
Sounds like maybe a few of the capacitors have burst, if you have the equipment and knowledge you could solder on a few new ones maybe. If not, auction it or recycle.

Soldato
OP
Okay, thanks for the advice guys! I hate the bay of e and have no idea how much its worth so ill take another option :)

thanks again!

Associate
I'd go with ebay, someone might want a panel or something obscure from it. At the end of the day, just make sure you get the postage costs right and you can't really go that far wrong!

Associate
Drill a hole througth the top of the bezel and then attach it to your car keys keyring or front door key. Now you will never lose or misplace your keys again !!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd go with ebay, someone might want a panel or something obscure from it. At the end of the day, just make sure you get the postage costs right and you can't really go that far wrong!

I do hate ebay, though. Plus I'm put off by all the "help ebay has ruined my life' threads that populate General Discussion.

Keychain, now that's an idea...

Associate
See if your PC shop could do anything with it, it might be a simple problem, maybe a loose wire. Otherwise, eBay, make a few quid and buy a pint.

Back
Top Bottom