Fool the quota management

Associate
After seeing this thread develop, it seems like the OP has got a bit of an entitlement complex. The internet is there to help students study, above all else, and it's there fully paid for and managed by the university. You don't have any right to download whatever you want - it's their connection and thus they can dictate how you use it. If you don't like it, move into private rented accommodation.

Hell, I was happy enough with 1mb/s back when I was in halls.

Personally if I was in the halls of residence, I'd be happy with the odd game of cs:s or tfc2 and to be able to do my assignments/ access their blackboard or moodle or whatever it is they use.

The rent you pay mate, doesn't cover bugger all of what that internet connection costs them. Move out in the second year and get your own connection is the simple answer. I don't see many ISPs tolerating the kind of use you are asking for either, however.

Soldato
The university would most likely inspect internet traffic at ingress/egress points on the network at layers 4 - 7.

IE: Even if you pipe P2P applications through HTTP you can still inspect within the packet to determine a lot more than just source/destination port numbers.

Yes nearly all universities in the UK are connected to Super Janet but internet breakouts are not limitless and are contended by eveyone on campus, id say that 30Gb a month is quite reasonable.

Associate
I've been watching this with interest and think that you're somewhat missing the point yourself.

Yes - the university has decided to implement a traffic management system that is unfair if you don't purchase a form of paid service that allows you to tunnel the traffic within another protocol. Sure, it's not ideal, but at the end of the day it's their connection - you may get internet access via the university's network as part of your accommodation, but when you connect to it, there's an acceptable use policy that comes with it. The internet isn't free and bandwidth costs - period.

Since the university, guarantees accommodation for over-seas students it should be COMMON SENSE that communication would be of some great importance.
Yes - and they've allowed an amount of bandwidth for that - much more infact than you will find from normal home ISP's (for all usage not just P2P) - unless you pay for an unlimited package - which costs more than a regular package. OR maybe use a different service to skype? It's not the only one out there.
Gaming on the other hand, might not be that important, but it is a factor that should be taken into account, especially when I cannot opt for a different ISP.
Why? It's their connection and they've allocated limits - it's down to you to manage your use.
You are not tied to their connection - there are other alternatives 3g dongles for example, but the cost versus the limit is a lot less generous than the connection you have now.

What the university is doing now is forcing people into file services like rapidshare and does not solve neither the copyright problem(which was the sole reason this thing started) nor the bandwidth/data traffic.

So me, and others who cannot afford such services, in the end are left without anymore data traffic due to the fact that I only have 30gb for EVERYTHING, while the rapidshare user has 30gb just for skype/gaming.
You have 30gb for applications that use P2P, not everything - you're right they're paying for the privilege to tunnel their data using another service. If you don't have that available funds to work around it, that's not the uni's problem - at least you've got net access, something that many people don't have the available funds to get.
I rather suspect they (the Uni) are looking into or will be looking into other ways to inspect the traffic and limit things like that too (particularly if further complaints are made) or they may resort to disconnecting users as per a post further up. If it was my network I'd be looking into application management technologies to limit certain apps rather than entire protocols

again people missing the point.

the only thing this has managed to do is promote PAID services and not solve anything rather than cause more problems.

I fail to see how the implementation of a system like this solves problems.

People still download through PAID services.. Nothing is solved in terms of bandwidth, just more problems for people without extra money to spend on services.

it doesn't solve the problem it moves it, but if you want to fool the management system there has to be a cost somewhere. If you don't like that - get over it and manage your use properly or petition for a better implementation of traffic management, which is bound to win you lots of respect when all the paid accounts get limited traffic rates.

Soldato
You're spending £50 a month on 1TB hard disks. So don't give us the "I can't afford it" lark... :/

especially when I cannot opt for a different ISP.
It's only in the second year of uni. (when they kick you out of campus accomodation) that you will appreciate the JANET connection.

Associate
OP
You're spending £50 a month on 1TB hard disks. So don't give us the "I can't afford it" lark... :/

It's only in the second year of uni. (when they kick you out of campus accomodation) that you will appreciate the JANET connection.

you know, u can erase data from disks as well.
And why will i be kicked out on the THIRD year (curently on my second year)?
Because I am downloading 30gb a month and others are downloading terabytes?
Yeap, seems I'm the candidate for kicking here.
And if I were to be kicked, appreciate it for what? Downloading at 10MB/s is useless when I can't use it for more than a few hours(that is when I reach the 30gb cap). I appreciate my 100kb/s connection more at home because I can download as much as I want and everything is permitted(programs/ports/etc).

Soldato
Whine, whine, whine, whine. There's nothing you can do or are willing to do about it, so you'll have to put up or shut up unfortunately.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit harsh if that includes steam downloads and game updates... but... theres no way skype is gonna be using significant amounts of that - even if your using it 5 hours a day thats not even 100MB a day.

If that includes downloads from iTunes, etc. I have a bit more sympathy.

Associate
And if I were to be kicked, appreciate it for what? Downloading at 10MB/s is useless when I can't use it for more than a few hours(that is when I reach the 30gb cap). I appreciate my 100kb/s connection more at home because I can download as much as I want and everything is permitted(programs/ports/etc).

What are you downloading, that fills that kind of space, which you are deleting afterwards?

Associate
OP
What are you downloading, that fills that kind of space, which you are deleting afterwards?

What kind of space? my HDD? I USED to download games before buying them because many games are blocked by the university. For the record I bought MoH without trying it due to the 30GB cap, and now I cannot play it because it is blocked, so money wasted. Also used to download movies in full hd ;(
I only have 750gb of storage so have to delete data that I do not need.

Associate
OP
Bit harsh if that includes steam downloads and game updates... but... theres no way skype is gonna be using significant amounts of that - even if your using it 5 hours a day thats not even 100MB a day.

If that includes downloads from iTunes, etc. I have a bit more sympathy.

well dont know the exact bandwidth skype uses, but with a camera it should be more.
about itunes I don't know not using it.
but yes, steam downloads are included as well as most game updates that update through a game specific updater.

Soldato

Are you a foreign student? It's pretty rare that they let British students remain on campus for longer than just the first year unless there's a damn good reason.

I wasn't saying they would kick you out for "abusing" the JANET. So calm down.

Associate
OP
Are you a foreign student? It's pretty rare that they let British students remain on campus for longer than just the first year unless there's a damn good reason.

I wasn't saying they would kick you out for "abusing" the JANET. So calm down.

Yes I am.

I'm not angry, I'm just.. confused as to how people are missing my point.

I do not want to abuse the network. It would be all right if ALL users were limited. I just want to either have the same data traffic as the others or better implementation of the surveilence system they have, like do one program at a time, not have general rules which in the end fix some problems and make others, and the general problem remaining.

Associate
It's pretty rare that they let British students remain on campus for longer than just the first year unless there's a damn good reason.

Not that rare really, its down to the university, where i was at Salford, i was in halls for 3 years and basically anyone can have halls but first years are gurenteed.

There were always rooms available throughout the year...probably explains why they knocked down a huge chunk of it.

Permabanned
at the end of the day, its not legal downloads. me and you both know it. so you need to accept the bottom line here.

you use it to work and surf legally.

anything illegal cannot and shall not be condoned by the university.

end of/*

Soldato
skype video with decent quality is around 150KB/s but all this is besides the point.

you're there to learn, not sit in your room amusing yourself in front of your monitor 16 hours a day on cheap accommodation.

Associate
Goddddddddddd this thread is horribly awful.

Why are you wasting your time talking to us, you're fighting a losing battle, talk to the sysadmin, explain you're skyping family/girlfriend at home and you need a bigger limit. If it's a valid reason i'm sure he'll do it. If you're downloading 7 series of family guy and deleting it each month then you have to abide by the 30gb p2p limit.

/thread

Man of Honour
Since the university, guarantees accommodation for over-seas students it should be COMMON SENSE that communication would be of some great importance.
Gaming on the other hand, might not be that important, but it is a factor that should be taken into account, especially when I cannot opt for a different ISP.

Communication doesn't have to mean video, that just seems rather spoilt to me. Email, IM, heck even VOIP services are all ways of keeping in touch and all use relatively little bandwidth. People have survived going to university for hundreds of years without such a thing. Yes, times move on, but if you need to constantly speak to people just use voice the majority of the time with maybe the odd bit of skype thrown in here and there. 30GB should be plenty.

Why should online gaming be taken into account? It's really not the point of a university internet connection. If it's that important to you, don't live in accommodation where you can't choose your ISP.

Soldato
Universities don't have UNLIMITED bandwidth, they have what they pay for. If they previously had an "download whatever the **** you like" policy, then your Uni has either:
1) complete retards for Admins.
or
2) A pot of gold bigger than Bill Gates.

You complain that they've got this new P2P restriction to combat illegal stuff? You then say your previous months usage was 1TB, presumably including HD movies, games and what not.
YOU'RE EXACTLY THE PERSON THEY'RE TRYING TO COMBAT.
:/

If I was on the IT team at your Uni, you'd be gone (not kicked out, just banned from Interwebs) like *clicks fingers* that.

Also, 30GB/month for P2P + xGB for http? You should consider yourself lucky.
I'm on O2's Home Access (BT Wholesale) and they have a 40GB/month limit, and I'm fairly confident that we're paying more for the pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom