Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (Rev 1.0) boot issue?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the info! may I ask where you came across that explanation? im interested in reading more about it, thanks.

I've had it with numerous motherboards. Google memory strap for more info. Can't say for certain thats what it is but thats what it 'feels' like if that makes any sense.

external floppy work?

Should work fine and safer than using windows!

Caporegime
I've had it with numerous motherboards. Google memory strap for more info. Can't say for certain thats what it is but thats what it 'feels' like if that makes any sense.
Ive experienced this with my previous asus p5q deluxe and my current p6t deluxe v2, though on occasion with my current board, when powering on from the case switch, the system will start up but theres no post beep and the screen stays blank, if i hit reset it will boot and load windows fine.:confused:

Associate
OP
no, luck, got a faulty floppy drive...gonna have a snoop round my fiances tommorow see if i can find my mem stick, else ill likely need to go buy one: why are computers never just simple ;)

Associate
My GA-P55M-UD2 (rev 1.1.) is also giving problem during boot up from time to time.

It would hang at Windows logo but not go any further or I could see the mouse and the little circle trying to move to the next stage but nothing else.

Last night it happened again but I let it be and it took nearly 15 mins to move to the login screen but when it reached the login screen it showed a low resolution (like in SafeMode). I login but the system was very slow then logout again then login (3rd time I log into SafeMode) into SafeMode to start with SafeMode and all I did was to scan if there was virus but everything was fine. Log off then log in again and this time it starts normal.

I am not sure what is the exact problem and the motherboard is only about a month old.

:confused::mad:

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar issue with a P55-UD3 where by it would go through a reboot loop just before the bios screen and by loop I mean it would keep going, I found out that by removing the 'reset button' wires going from the front of the case to the mobo it stopped. Not sure if the reset button on the case was messed up or it was something to do with the mobo but it worked!!

Soldato
not sure how common this is but i frequently get startup problems where the computer will start to turn on then shut down a couple of times in a row then boots fine. Now and then when it does this it will have reset overclocks that have booted and run fine with no issues before.

is this a common issue and is there any way to fix it?

yeah from what the guys in here tell me it is a common issue with gb boards
i had it with my ud5 too, updated the bios about 2 weeks ago, still get the cold boot issues now and again but no shutdowns with overclock losses

Associate
OP
yeah from what the guys in here tell me it is a common issue with gb boards
i had it with my ud5 too, updated the bios about 2 weeks ago, still get the cold boot issues now and again but no shutdowns with overclock losses

at least gigabyte is making progress then! any idea if it is just this manufacturer or if it is common throughout mobo makers?

Associate
OP
wiht the updated BIOS im still getting the boot issues as well as the crashes for no reason! this is my first time with gigabyte, and i think im going to be switching back on the next upgrade season.

Soldato
Its just a problem with the X58/A boards. I have had 2 gigabytes in the past, and am using one now. Would get another. Asus I would not touch with a barge pole however. 3 boards, 3 blown.

Associate
OP
first off, sorry i havn't been too quick to reply, had allot of stuff going on

Its just a problem with the X58/A boards. I have had 2 gigabytes in the past, and am using one now. Would get another. Asus I would not touch with a barge pole however. 3 boards, 3 blown.

that just sounds like bad luck to me, ive got to get my computer to last at least another four years before i can consider another mobo upgrade, of which will be for the new intel series of processors. Ill decide when i get there based on what each mobo offers an the reviews on each model;)

Swap the Board under warranty, still reckon you have the same issue i had with my first Ud7.

my warranty is voided due to the BIOS update, that, and the fact i don't have a spare computer to use whilst mine is out of use...not really worth the hassle, at the end of the day it will work after a few restarts perfectly fine, now i have an SSD when this problem does occur i dont really loose much time compared to when i had my OS on a HDD. I was just letting other people know that even with the BIOS the problem hasn't been fixed.

Does anyone know if this is a specific batch of mobo's that have this issue? is it a particular version? or is it just pot luck? this way people thinking of buying will know as much as possible:)

Associate
just put the Supplied bios back in:) find it odd that you will not get the Mb replaced, the Board may give up the ghost one day, and you may be out of warranty. you may even damage other Hardware keeping hold of the Mb.

Associate
OP
One sec...

The GA-X58A-UD5 Only has f1-f6 bios updates...

the GA-EX58-UD5 has higher.

Tell me you didnt put the wrong mobos bios on your board?

And also WHY ON EARTH are people telling you to put the wrong bios on@?

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3304&dl=1#bios

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2958#bios
i seem to have added an A in the title it is an GA-X58-UD5 not GA-X58A-UD5. THe above link is the correct page for the BIOS downloads and this is where i downloaded and installed from.

just put the Supplied bios back in:) find it odd that you will not get the Mb replaced, the Board may give up the ghost one day, and you may be out of warranty. you may even damage other Hardware keeping hold of the Mb.

why is it odd to not want to get it replaced? to get a new board through after the rma process id have to get it sent to another address then take a half days travel to go pick it up! (i live in student accomodation where they don't deliver parcels). By the time the process is done and i have had time to go pick it up, then to consider the uninstillation and instillation process, then reseting the internet connections up (which was an age to do in itself) can you understand that the time taken for me to get that done when i need a working computer and have the chance of a working one and just sticking with a small fault?

i do understand where your coming from, i just don't think its worth the hassle if i can just live with it orfind a software fix.

Associate
In my case, I reduced my QPI/Vtt Voltage in BIOS (making sure to keep it within 0.5v of DRAM voltage). Raising it back to what it was beforehand instantly brings back my old multiple-boot problem.

EX58 UD5
Bios: F9m

Associate
OP
In my case, I reduced my QPI/Vtt Voltage in BIOS (making sure to keep it within 0.5v of DRAM voltage). Raising it back to what it was beforehand instantly brings back my old multiple-boot problem.

EX58 UD5
Bios: F9m

my ram is never out of 0.5V or near for that matter so i dont believe this is the issue, thanks for the input though

Back
Top Bottom