Is being an alcoholic such a crime really?

Permabanned
Seems like there is a lot of negativity and taboo surrounding alcoholism, but really is it that bad? They seem to have a fun time and enjoy themselves. If it's as awful as everyone says they wouldn't do it.

JESUS! Have you even thought of the implications of your statement?

Alcoholism destroys people's soul's and often everyone's around them. We're not talking happy park bench bums I'm talking about watching your mother or father or anyone you care about deteriorate into a debilated shell of their former selves.

it will drain the life from their eyes and and the happiness from their face!

Is alcoholism really that bad...WTF? :mad: :mad:

Associate
Seems like there is a lot of negativity and taboo surrounding alcoholism, but really is it that bad? They seem to have a fun time and enjoy themselves. If it's as awful as everyone says they wouldn't do it.

trolling tbh...

alcoholism is the leading cause of morbidity in young people

Associate
try having a mother, who you love with all your heart, being an alcoholic

try growing up around her addiction -the hidden bottles of vodka, putting her to bed when she was slaughtered, the mood swings, her drunken ramblings and rages, her telling you she doesn't love you one minute and then she loves you more than anything the next, having to make your own meals, her meals (and trying to get her to eat them), looking after your little brother because she's too drunk to care

try then watching her die slowly of terminal cirrosis of the liver when you were 19 years old, leaving you and your 13 year old brother without a mother

yep - that was/is me

i find the amount of ignorance in this thread offensive, frankly

none of you would be taking the **** if you were in my (or others like me) situation

Genuinely sorry to hear that, if one person reads it and wises up then you have done someone a great turn

Soldato

try growing up around her addiction -the hidden bottles of vodka, putting her to bed when she was slaughtered, the mood swings, her drunken ramblings and rages, her telling you she doesn't love you one minute and then she loves you more than anything the next, having to make your own meals, her meals (and trying to get her to eat them), looking after your little brother because she's too drunk to care

try then watching her die slowly of terminal cirrosis of the liver when you were 19 years old, leaving you and your 13 year old brother without a mother

yep - that was/is me

none of you would be taking the **** if you were in my (or others like me) situation

I can't imagine living through that. You're a hero if only for yourself and your brother.

Man of Honour
Alcoholism is brutal, coming off alcohol cold turkey can cause seizures (which can lead to death) and many other health risks, not to mention hallucinations, sweats, shakes, nausea and many other symptoms.

Just to add to the above -
Alcohol is the only drug that once an alcoholic you can't just stop overnight.
You have to be safety managed and will be given money for your habit to slowly be weened off it.
Apart from medical drugs every other illegal drug can be stopped immediately but of course you will suffer a bit but it won't kill you.
If you are an alcoholic and decide to suddenly stop you could die.
I got to Level 3 in Drugs Awareness and at least 50% of the course was dedicated to this most evil of drugs.

Associate
Just to add to the above -
Alcohol is the only drug that once an alcoholic you can't just stop overnight.
You have to be safety managed and will be given money for your habit to slowly be weened off it.
Apart from medical drugs every other illegal drug can be stopped immediately but of course you will suffer a bit but it won't kill you.
If you are an alcoholic and decide to suddenly stop you could die.
I got to Level 3 in Drugs Awareness and at least 50% of the course was dedicated to this most evil of drugs.

correct for the most part, but alcoholics aren't 'given money', there's lots of alcohol detox services available, where supervised monitoring is provided
the lethal complication of stopping suddenly is called delirium tremens

Associate
Tim left a teenage daughter behind, 2 very distraught parents and a lot of wrecked relationships in his wake.

He was a very intelligent chap, a good degree and until his redundancy a good job.

It was very sad watching his decline, sadder still to know there is no way of stopping him do it.

Alcoholics can not be sectioned under the mental health act. This should be changed.

Permabanned

yep - that was/is me

Similar for me, but my dad instead, he was much stronger than my mum too. :(

Associate
JESUS! Have you even thought of the implications of your statement?

Alcoholism destroys people's soul's and often everyone's around them. We're not talking happy park bench bums I'm talking about watching your mother or father or anyone you care about deteriorate into a debilated shell of their former selves.

it will drain the life from their eyes and and the happiness from their face!

Is alcoholism really that bad...WTF? :mad: :mad:

Was going to state how alcoholism ripped my family apart when I was 17 but the above quoted statement sums it up better than I could :(

Soldato
You do realise you just masively contradicted yourself?

They aren't decent people, and they rarely only harm themselves.

I don't believe I have

There's a difference between an abusive alcoholic and one that is merely dependant on the stuff, speaking from personal experience of alcoholic family members and friends ,none of whom harm anybody imo, they lead relatively normal lives

I'm not saying this is the case for all alcoholics as there's clearly people who are physically abusive, get smashed all the time and let it destroy theirs and others lives

Last edited:
Associate
I don't believe I have

There's a difference between an abusive alcoholic and one that is merely dependant on the stuff, speaking from personal experience of alcoholic family members and friends ,none of whom harm anybody imo, they lead relatively normal lives

you seem to think that dependency is milder than abuse?
oh dear...

Soldato
Try living with an alcoholic. You'll soon realise how horrible alcoholishm is. It ruins lives.

This. Its great fun watching my Mum become a shadow of her former self being slowly worn down by my Dad. Its also great fun getting the crap kicked out of me one Christmas day because he was drunk. Or watching my Mum wash the grit out of her hands where she was pushed over. Or on a good day listening to him generally speaking to people like crap.

It might not be a "crime" but believe me its no fun at all. The "Dad" I had growing up is dead, his body is still here but he's no longer what I would expect a Dad to be.

Last edited:
Associate
one of the worst addictions in my opinion.

Just one story i know which has happened very recently 2 brothers aged 23 and 25 lost there dad to a brain anurism (burst blood vessel) and had tragically died in there early teens and was found by there mother on the bathroom floor.
After this the mother began to start drinking (we assumed) but had kept it a secret for a number of years with it only coming to light only 3/4 years ago where she was hiding vodka under a pillow mixing it with anything she could and know matter how hard they tried to hide it she still somehow got hold of some. Her partner that she had been with for only a few years then left her leaving it down to just them to cope with it.
The older one of the two had then recieved a fantastic job oppurtunity in australia for 2 years which he had taken and since he was there it worsened with her being in and out of hospital every other week by the sounds of it with the brother there left alone receiving abuse every day. So fast forward to the present day the brother from australia who was already on his way home with my sister (they're an item) stopped off in hong kong for a few days was due back this monday for good but had recieved a phone call friday morning from his brother who was in hysterics and he had found her lying face down dead half on/off the bed. so now they have no parent absolutely tragic..
Picked him up yesterday from the airport to get him back to his house but it obviously hasnt sunk it yet.. terrible terrible thing is drink..

Soldato
you seem to think that dependency is milder than abuse?
oh dear...

an alcholic who is abusive is still dependant so it is milder than an alcholic who just needs drink imo.

Take for instance my grandparents who were both alcoholics, they only drank at home, it never affected anyone in the family apart from one time I took a swig out of a coke bottle and noticed it was laced with vodka :p

Soldato
Been there, done it, not fun.
:(

This, My brother (who's in his mid thirties) is an Alcoholic, and a smoker - both problems have put him in hospital over the past couple of years with separate but serious hours-from-death problems (lungs, liver) and he's been told by the doctors in no uncertain terms that he has to stop. He's not a violent drunk or anything and seems to be able to stop drinking for a few days when he's round to visit, but as soon as he returns to his home he goes back to drinking again.
Having someone in the family who is basically slowly committing suicide is a massive strain, feels like there's nothing we can do.

Back
Top Bottom