The cinema...WTF !!!

Soldato
agree, take food in that's brought else where works out a lot cheaper

I assume you do this when you go to the pub as well since the drink in there is so ridiculously overpriced compared to the off-licence.

Cinemas can't survive on ticket sales since most of that money goes back to the distributors which then feeds back on up the line to the film making companies, they need the shop to turn a profit (for some reason they feel a need to do this rather than just run the cinema as a charity). They also can't sell stuff as cheap as ordinary shops either due to the larger overheads and the fact that they can't buy in as much bulk as say Asda or Spar. Fair enough the popcorn and drinks generally have mark ups in the region of hundreds%+ but again this is to make money and for cinemas the popcorn and drinks are generally the biggest sellers.

In saying that I have seen some cinemas which I think go overboard with the prices but it's still not fair to compare them to a highstreet supermarket.

Associate
I hate going to the cinema.

When I went to see Avatar 3D I had some little kid booting the back of my seat anytime anything exciting happened the duration of the entire film.

It's either that or morons in the front row giggling.

Caporegime
In saying that I have seen some cinemas which I think go overboard with the prices but it's still not fair to compare them to a highstreet supermarket.

sure it is they sell the same crap you can buy elsewhere and charge a premium because they think people wont bring there own stuff.

cinemas wont stop you bringing your own food, some bbc docu proved that before by taking in 2 litre bottles of coke and multipack bags of crisps from a supermarket at various cinemas around the country.

some jobsworth at certain cinemas tried to stop them but after asking for the manager he allowed them entry.

all filmed with undercover cameras..

Soldato
They may sell the same 'crap' but they can't buy it in at the same prices therefore the cinema price would have to be higher just to have the same markup as a shop.

Also, a shop doesn't have to worry about cleaning up after their customers whereas a cinema does and in my experience about 90% of the population are filthy and just throw everything at their feet (I especially hate the people who bring in their own stuff, though I would never stop anyone from doing this, then can't be arsed taking back out the rubbish).

Soldato
Unlimited Cineworld card - £13.50 a month, add on top £1.50 for one 3d film in that month, see 5 films... works out at £3 a film.

You can't buy a single month of this though can you - I tried once. You have to buy a whole years worth! I remember when Virgin cinemas offered a single month's pass and I'd go near constantly during that month - but pay for an entire year? No thanks.

Soldato
i downloads loads of films that ive already seen! especially if there 1080p! put em on my mede8er!

A lot of people do this. But what you are doing is waiting for the blu-ray release, which then gets ripped in HD, which you then download. This happens after the film is no longer playing in cinemas.

What is being discussed here is people watching the movie in the cinema, as opposed to downloading the dodgy (camcorder in cinema) version, which is available to download while the film is still playing in the movie theatres. Most people would prefer to go to the cinema than watch the dodgy/camcorder version; but for many, the ticket prices are prohibitive.

Soldato
Prices are a bit silly

In August we went to see Toy Story 3D and even with an Orange Wednesday pass it was £20 each.

Associate
£19 for 2-3 hours of entertainment? Seems pretty good tbh, i'd be interested to see how quickly a lot of the complainers would waste the same amount behind a bar without even batting an eyelid.

Associate
I used to go to the cinema fairly often but the rise in prices have recently put me off going. If I do go, then it tends to be on the Tuesday/Wednesday deals but even then I have to jostle with a large scrum of people who also want to pay reasonable prices to see a film.

daz

daz

Soldato
It is expensive, but then the cost of running a cinema is also expensive.

Compared to other types of entertainment, I think it is fair value for money especially for the truly epic films - but I would like to see cinemas become more creative with their offerings, such as very cheap tickets during quiet times, or very cheap tickets for classic movies that they're showing.

The amount of money that people spend on home AV equipment shows that people are interested and they do love films, but cinemas can't afford to be complacent in this day and age, which I think some have done.

Soldato
We're off soon today to see Red, tickets costing £14, parking will likely be another £6.90, then popcorn and snacks a further £9 (probably give them a miss), no doubt we'll have lunch downtown afterwards, somewhere cheap for around £25.
Trip to the cinema costing around £50.

I understand why fewer people attend the cinema now.

Back
Top Bottom