Samsung F4 problems

Associate
Hello,

Last week I got the new Samsung F4 2TB drive and installed it in a Win7 64bit PC. It seems there's something wrong. I tried both MBR and GPT, and 4k and 512bytes formatting, but the result of the read benchmark looks like this:

24-October-2010_11-36%20F4.png

For comparison's sake, the other drives in my system:
Samsung F3 1.5 TB:

24-October-2010_11-12%20F3.png

The boot SSD drive:

24-October-2010_11-16%20SSD.png

The spikes are only present in the F4. I have tried connecting it in all SATA ports in my system, using different cables, using Windows 7 64 and 32 bit (even fresh installations), and while there may be different speeds at times, the average remains below 75MB/s and the seek time above 20ms no matter what I try, and the spikes in the HD tune graph are always there.

There's another long thread at Anandtech where I'm trying to resolve the issue with no success so far.

Any ideas?

Associate
Granted this is only the 320gb f4, but I'd expect something similar from the 2 tb considering it's just the same thing with increased platters/heads:

23ixekx.png

Still, you you're board can handle the ssds bandwidth then the f4 should be no issues at all, despite the small cpu :)

Associate
OP
Granted this is only the 320gb f4, but I'd expect something similar from the 2 tb considering it's just the same thing with increased platters/heads:

Still, you you're board can handle the ssds bandwidth then the f4 should be no issues at all, despite the small cpu :)

Exactly my thoughts. I suspect it has something to do with the new format (AFS) not being fully compatible with the motherboard or the motherboard's drivers. Definitely not the OS (I tried both win7 64 and 32 bit, I even installed SP1 RC1, no change there), not AHCI vs IDE mode in the BIOS, not the partitioning/formatting method (tried MBR/GPT, tried 4k and 512bytes cluster size, offsets of 1, 2, and 4MB)... And the drive seems fine otherwise, it doesn't stutter or hang or have bad sectors. It's just slow in normal usage and has this weird graph in HD tune... If I don't find a solution today (second wasted weekend in a row) it's going to be returned tomorrow.

Soldato
I think theres another thread on this forum with other people getting results like that.

Personally I'd like them to release a version that has native 4K clusters, or a jumper to enable it. I don't like the idea it does 4K to 512byte emulation. It stopped me grabbing a couple.

Back
Top Bottom