• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidea 3D Vision

Associate
How good is the 3D with the Nvidea cards guys? I watched Saw 3d at the cinema and loved it, and wondered if it's as good with games on the PC? Also, when will Ati have this support?

Cheers

Associate
closest you can get to cinema is 3d surround and ofc that is very very expensive. apparently iirc you can have 2 or 3 720p projectors which will give a good cinema effect but they also can be costly at £700 each.

Im using only a single monitor and loving it. Age Of Empires 3, roller coaster tycoon, bad company 2 and raceon are truly amazing ! i watched avatar in 3d but it didint give me that wow effect like the cinema but it was 3d (or 3d like) I suspect it would be better on 3d surround. I would much rather spend £2000 on a good 3d tv than £1500 pc only use for movies. Or even go dipping into my savings account and getting one of those monster 3d tvs what dont need glasses.

ait support HD3d or 3DHD i forgot. i havnt read to much about it but i think it alows you to connect to 3d tvs and play 3d content? and now nvidia are releasing nVidia 3dtv play. soon which you can have any graphics card which plays 3d.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It needs a 120 hz monitor and Acer make a decent one. ATI also supports 3D vision using IZ3D drivers, but I dont know how they work.

I dont want to replace my expensive 60 hz monitor yet, so I wont have 3D vision for a long time until my current monitor needs replacing (got an Acer G24 for £325 when it was released back when 24" 120 hz monitors didnt exist or would have cost twice as much).

Soldato
I recently bought an nvidia 3d vision setup (spec in sig). It has totally blown me away. I was worried as I heard a lot of good and bad before taking the plunge - but I can honestly say for me its bigger than going from software to hardware rendering.

If you have the cash go for it :)

Associate
I just reccently took the plunge for the 3d route and using the same monitor as Chevens i can say it is fantastic! It does make games a bit darker but you can just pop the brightness up. The only thing i would mention is if you are useing headphones the glasses do kinda stab into your noggin!

Associate
For ATI users Viewsonic are releasing an LED monitor that comes with wired glasses and 'HD3D' support. I personally have an original samsung monitor 3D Vision bundle and its been great with it - just gotta remember to setup the convergence settings! LCDs do have an issue with ghosting at the top or bottom of the screen due to the way they refresh the panel. My Acer DLP projector on the other hand does not suffer from this at all, though you are limited to 720p and you get that colorwheel effect if you look close enough.

Associate
Hi guys,

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread...but it seemed prudent).

I am currently looking for for a pair of these (specifically the wired version, not wireless):
3D Vision Wired Glasses

My dilemma is that I can see that you can buy them in America from 3 specific sites (2 of which don't ship to the UK - the other obviously still incurs import tax).

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of these (tried ebay)? If not, then does anyone know when these will become available in the UK?

Associate
What's the big deal for buying the wired ones? As far as I know, it's just a cost-cutter by eliminating the battery. Is that your reason, or have you settled on another?

Associate
What's the big deal for buying the wired ones? As far as I know, it's just a cost-cutter by eliminating the battery. Is that your reason, or have you settled on another?

It was more to do with not having to recharge...cost was an added bonus.
If I am unable to get the wired ones, then I'll settle for the wireless anyway. just thought, short of going straight to nvidia, you guys/gals might have an inclination.

Soldato
If I am unable to get the wired ones, then I'll settle for the wireless anyway. just thought, short of going straight to nvidia, you guys/gals might have an inclination.

You can always keep the wireless ones plugged in if your that keen to have a cable dangle across your face ;)

Soldato

The wireless ones give you roughly 40 hours of play, so they'll last at least a few days of hardcore gaming before needing a charge, more than likely a few weeks. Obviously you can still play with them whilst plugged in and charging.

Associate
The wireless ones give you roughly 40 hours of play, so they'll last at least a few days of hardcore gaming before needing a charge, more than likely a few weeks. Obviously you can still play with them whilst plugged in and charging.

This, plus, they're not as comfy when there's a wire between your noggin and the case (different from wearing headphones), but with the wireless ones you only have to put up with that for maybe 3 hours in a week tops, on the offchance you've totally forgotten to plug them in for just one night, then you can go back to using them wireless again.

If the glasses were technically superior (faster and/or stronger polarisation transitions) that would have been a different matter as that can help reduce ghosting, and I'd pay a bit more for a higher quality glasses that could do that, but I haven't heard anything like this from the sales pitches. Thought maybe I'd missed something.

Associate
You can always keep the wireless ones plugged in if your that keen to have a cable dangle across your face ;)

As useless as this post may sound, although admittedly pretty funny, it did make a valuable point which I did not know about - I did not know you could charge and use at the same time. So if the glasses ran out of charge, I can simply grab a long enough cable to use and charge.

This also puts another plus on the wireless models. I was under the impression you got ~5 hours out of a charged pair. Hell knows where I got that from, but it was clearly wrong :confused:

If the glasses were technically superior (faster and/or stronger polarisation transitions) that would have been a different matter as that can help reduce ghosting, and I'd pay a bit more for a higher quality glasses that could do that, but I haven't heard anything like this from the sales pitches. Thought maybe I'd missed something.

This is also good to have clarified, as I have not found anything that suggests anything like this.

Thanks for your time 'topdog@OC', 'coupe69' & 'no_1_dave'. I will be getting myself a wireless set :cool:

Back
Top Bottom