What Did You Get In Your GCSE's?

Associate
8A*, 1A (English Lit.) and A at maths A-level.

I've found they're a stepping stone - good for getting into college, didn't use them to get into uni.

Soldato
GCSE - 1 B, 3 Cs, 2 Ds
A Level - C and an E

Managed to get into sixth form without 5 Cs or above even though I was told it was impossible. Hated education and I hope never to go back, you don't need good grades to do what you want to do :)

Soldato
I love this utter crap.

Clever people don't need to work as hard as someone who isn't and hence do better.

Good GCSE's and A-levels have a good correlation with smart people in my experience. Smart people also tend to have the foresight to work hard.

I would love to hear your definition of smart.

I spend AGES typing out a reply, then somehow lost it. FML. Anyway I'm just going to type a short reply now.

I didn't work hard, I did the minimum to get by and I got good grades.

My definition of smart:

I don't think that 'intelligence' exists. I'm a man (well a boy) of science, and I don't think that there is such a thing as intelligence. There is no way to quantify intelligence because there are far too many variables which could affect results. If someone wants to come up with a valid way to measure intelligence, then by all means you are welcome to counter my arguement. But I feel that intelligence is an abstract concept, rather than a real one :)

Associate
Only last year but:

A English Lang
A English Lit
A* History
A* Science (Core)
A Maths
B French
B Business Studies
A Science (Additional)
2 Distinction's in ICT
C Religious Education (Uh Oh, only half a GCSE too)

Took me quite a while to remember them, shows how little they matter to me now I suppose, considering they were only a few months ago.
Not overly disappointed but, considering the effort I put in, I could have done a lot better.

Last edited:
Associate
A Maths
AA Science
A History
B Law
B Business and Communications Systems (IT part 2 basically)
C English Lang
C English Lit
C German
C IT
C RE (half a GCSE)

Didn't do much to get those and in one of the worse schools in the country at the time. I do see what people mean when they say GCSEs are getting easier. I miss school, best times of my life.

Soldato
D's and C's and one B.

I did terribly in school yet I managed to retake them in college so I ended up with 7 C's and 1 B (including Doubles) that was 2 years ago though, It gave me the confidence to do a course I wouldn't have thought doing.

Soldato
Picky bugger! :mad:

:D

This depends on how you define being "smart" surely, if you think someone is "smart" just because they can remember facts and figures and then recall them in a test then you are correct if however you think someone is not "smart" because they are creative and practical or maybe fall apart in exam situations then you are wrong.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure my reply makes sense so I am going to label myself as not smart and leave now... :(

Of course you're making sense. Being smart is a very subjective characteristic with no unique meaning. But in a debate about GCSE's which are part of academic education, by smart we mean have a specific meaning.

Associate
3 A*'s
5 A's
3 B's

Like others have mentioned, allowed me to go to 6th form and ultimately architecture. All I see them as is a springboard to the next thing, which all education is in my eyes.

Man of Honour
Not particularly great grades overall as I didn't care too much and barely did any revision but for what it's worth I did Standard Grades and received 4x1s, 3x2s and 1x3 (History) - I still maintain that they must have lost my History paper as I sat the credit exam and I can't believe I'd have failed it yet passed the general graded exam. I would rather liked to have been able to try out a few different subjects that I hadn't officially studied though, I've got a strong suspicion that vaguely decent exam technique would mean you could pass the general paper for most subjects even without properly studying it.

It's obviously worth trying to do as well as possible in your exams as it's exceptionally rare that there could ever be a downside to it. Generally speaking though exams are mostly useful for getting you to the next stage, there are certain situations where they will be scrutinised in later life but for many (probably most) it's only the last (and highest) qualification that you have which counts with employers.

Soldato
6 A*s, 4 As and 1 B (In German, lols!)

Had very little effect aside from allowing me to progress to my chosen subjects at A-Level (Which I could have done with lower grades anyway). It was my A levels that then got me into Bristol to do Aerospace Engineering.

The short of it is, don't worry too much about GCSE's. Do your best but if you get C's your life isn't over.

Associate
C maths C,C Science D English, E Geography, E Physical Education...

And get this folkes....

G in I.T :D haahahah

as i got into year 10 i didnt really care about it anymore, i didnt really revise only for maths and science because they were the biggies.

Ironic thing was i was considered "one of the nerds" lol

I went on to live in dubai for 2 years, came back did a national diploma in manufacturing engineering and have just finished a HNC in mechanical engineering.

Currently working at coop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom