Lumix GF1

Associate
Well after my 2 year love afair with my 40D I finally decided to sell it and have pulled the trigger on a Lumix GF1 with 14-45 3.5-5.6 kit lens. I guess many of you will think that I am mad, but most of my photography is of my children, outings parties etc and I was finding that lugging a 40D around was becomming annoying - for 2 reasons. Firstly the size of it, it is a big camera and carrying a separate bag, on top of bags for kids stuff etc was becomming a nuisance: Secondly, in busy places or places full of kids, a cmera like a 40D attracts attention.

Please dont get me wrong I have had some beautiful results from that camera and will miss the quality, but I needed something that better fitted my lifestyle. I looked at a Canon G12 and various other 4/3 cameras, but the GF1 ticked most of my boxes. I ordered it from JL who were much cheaper than even the grey importers. Hopefully it will be with me tomorrow and I can upload some images.

Soldato
You wont miss the quality. The GF1 is a very capable camera. I would have, and did go for the 20mm f/1.7 however!

Associate
Good buy but it might be worth canceling the order and waiting for the GF2 to be released in January.
It should hopefully result in the price drop for the GF1 or you could get the GF2 which is lighter/smaller though has touchscreen controls which will put many people off!

Soldato
I like the GF1 a lot and thought about it, but went for a G1 in the end as it cost less and the form factor wasn't super important (also I love the EVF). Being as you went for the 14-45 I'm surprised you didn't consider the G1, or if you really liked the size of the GF1 I would have picked the 20mm/1.7, no zoom but great for indoor shots.

Associate
OP
The 20mm is to be my xmas present. Since my first post I have just been told I am flying to Tbilisi, Georgia for 3 days with work. Looks like I will be taking lots of pictures in Tbilisi.

Kamikazie! I waited for the GF2 with baited breath and IMHO they have produced a dumb-downed version of the GF1, I was very disappointed. I think GF1 prices may actually climb as stock becomes scarce.

Russinating, I guess the purpose of my post was to see what other photographers thought of the GF1. It wasnt meant to be any sort of e-peen. This is my first forray into the 4/3 market and wasnt too sure what to expect.

Associate
You have now just opened yourself up to adapted manual lenses. There is a M4/3 adapter for any older lens or if you have the money Voigtlander and Leica lenses. The form factors of the GF1 and the Olympus Pens are perfect for some old "rangefinder" type photography. Have a look here and I bet you get addicted like I have (as long as you don't mind manual focus of course).

Associate
The 20mm is to be my xmas present. Since my first post I have just been told I am flying to Tbilisi, Georgia for 3 days with work. Looks like I will be taking lots of pictures in Tbilisi.

You lucky Dawg ! ;) I used to live in Georgia its a very beautiful country.

I know you said that you were only there for 3 day's but try to get somebody to take you to The cave city of Vardzia !

It has a Monastery that is dug into the side of Erusheli Mountain and consisted of over six thousand apartments in a thirteen story complex.

Well worth a Visit ! ;)

Associate
OP
You have now just opened yourself up to adapted manual lenses. There is a M4/3 adapter for any older lens or if you have the money Voigtlander and Leica lenses. The form factors of the GF1 and the Olympus Pens are perfect for some old "rangefinder" type photography. Have a look here and I bet you get addicted like I have (as long as you don't mind manual focus of course).

I grew up with manual focus film cameras. My first 35mm, was a Pentax ME Super, a lovely camera. I think growing up with film, you learned to appreciate prime's and how much you could actually do with them.

Back
Top Bottom