Graphic Novels

Caporegime
Hey hey.

Looking to pick up my first graphic novels but unsure where I should start. It can be a bit overwhelming when walking into the likes of Forbidden Planet and being confronted by 100s of comics and novels from different ages.

Basically where should I start with these 3?

Superman
Batman
Deadpool

Preferably they should offer plenty of background story.

Ta for any suggestions. :)

Soldato
It's not exactly what you talked about but I would highly recommend the Marvel Ultimate Galactus Trilogy TPB.

Without saying too much about it I found the exploration of different cultures fascinating, it's so well done flicking between the past and the present that it's a book I keep going back to read.

I haven't started on the DC universe as yet, I've mainly read the Marvel Ultimate universe but for something different I got Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

They are harder books to get into, especially V as the art is more difficult to understand but both are incredibly worthwhile.

Associate
Ordered:

Batman: Year One
Batman: Hush
Superman: Red Son
Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War

Will get DKR later on or for Xmas maybe.

Consider reading Batman: Death in the Family before you read Hush. It's about the 2nd Robin, Jason Todd, who took after when Dick Grayson left.

It's a really important point in Batman lore, and it's brought up in Hush.

Killing Joke and DKR are excellent. Long Hallowe'en is another good book (based around early Batman). Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk are also both great reads and don't need a lot of background knowledge.

Kingdom Come is another great book, and has some of the best artwork you'll ever see in a comic.

If you fancy some Marvel, the Ultimate range are basically Marvel reboots of some of the lines, and are generally excellent (Ultimate Spiderman aside). Ultimate X-Men is good, Ultimate Fantastic Four is excellent, Ultimates is astonishing. Ultimate Galactus is also very good, but you should really read Ultimates first.

The new Captain America series by Ed Brubaker is also superb.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom