Faulty Corsair HX1000....Again!

Associate
OP
Gonna see if I can get Corsair to replace it and do an advanced rma. I want to buy another psu today, if the wife will let me. Will have to beg her in a minute. Then hopefully when I get the replacement I'll sell it asap.

I don't want to spend no more than £200. I've been looking at the Enermax Modu 87+ "80Plus Gold Certified" 900w Power Supply but I'm not sure.

Can someone please recommend me a really good psu, one that doesnt BUZZ?

Thanks all and sorry if I've come across as snappy. Just want my PC back up and running.

RoEy

Associate
What the hell is going on?? Got the new psu Thursday and plugged it in. Everything seemed to be working fine and literally just 5 minutes ago it's started to buzz like mad, just like it did last time.

I have really had enough of this. It buzzes when I game at high fps but so does my gpu and it's always done that. This however, is now buzzing when my PC is idle.

What could be causing this? It has to be something else in my PC that's doing it surely? This is my third Corsair PSU!!!

Please, can someone advise me what to do?

RoEy

You must be the most unluckiest puter person I have read in these forums. I'm on my 2nd HX1000 (for reasons already discussed earlier in this thread) and neither of the units that I have (or had) emits more than a slight fan sound that can't even be heard above the other case fans etc. No buzzing or the slightest buzz!!

I take it that the unit you received on the 7th was a new sealed unit direct from Corsair RMA dept in the Netherlands ? and not a bare unit back via Overclockers? If it was a bare unit I would seriously consider that you might have been dumped with the original unit ?????

Associate
OP
You must be the most unluckiest puter person I have read in these forums. I'm on my 2nd HX1000 (for reasons already discussed earlier in this thread) and neither of the units that I have (or had) emits more than a slight fan sound that can't even be heard above the other case fans etc. No buzzing or the slightest buzz!!

I take it that the unit you received on the 7th was a new sealed unit direct from Corsair RMA dept in the Netherlands ? and not a bare unit back via Overclockers? If it was a bare unit I would seriously consider that you might have been dumped with the original unit ?????

Tell me about it. I have no luck whatsoever and I've spent a fortune. The unit I received was directly from Corsair, Netherlands. It was sealed and looks brand spank. I've put a message on their forums but no response yet. I really need this sorting asap. Can't bare to go without the PC for another month. The slight fan sound you hear from yours is what I was hearing for the first 3 days until it decided to buzz like mad. Wish I just had that fan sound....:(

RoEy

Associate
OP
Turned the PC on this morning and no buzzing at all. I really don't have a clue what is going on with it. Do I keep it and learn to live with it or what?

How can it buzz one minute and not the next? Was going to get COD today but not going to bother until I can sort PC out....

Happy days....

RoEy

Associate
OP
It's not possible that something in My PC is causing it then because whats the chances of getting 2 that do it? Corsair havent even got back to me yet about rma so I don't know how long its going to take.

Is it still safe to use the PC in the meantime?

RoEy

Associate
OP
I think I'm going to sell this one on and not even bother with rma. Not waiting that long again. I need a PSU that has black cables for the power sata / molex. I know that sounds daft but I have spent ages sleeving all the other calbes in my PC and the good thing with the HX1000 is the cables you get with it are black.

I just don't know if I should touch another corsair like the HX 850.

RoEy

Associate
OP
I know people are getting bored with this thread and probably annoyed with me but the PSU sounds absolutely fine now. I even got a different Kettle lead to use and so far the PSU is whisper quiet. Just checking volts in everest and for the +3.3v i'm getting 3.22 is that ok?

The only time I get a buzz is when gaming, it does it in sync with my 4870x2 (cap squeal) but the last 2 did that and I've read it's normal for a lot of people.

I'll monitor the PSU for the next week. Hopefully the buzzing won't return. In the meantime I've asked corsair for an advanced rma.

RoEy

Associate
Yep interested here in the cause for your RMA as well?

Consider that 6 days of this is transportation from your home address to RMA department and back again :)

It just died on me - no pop nothing.

I posted it to OC on the 30th Oct. It arrived there on Monday the 1st November and they sent it on to Corsair the same day. It has all gone silent from Corasir. Still waiting. OC will tell me when they send out the new unit.

Associate
OP

I posted it to OC on the 30th Oct. It arrived there on Monday the 1st November and they sent it on to Corsair the same day. It has all gone silent from Corasir. Still waiting. OC will tell me when they send out the new unit.

I had to wait 3 weeks mate. Keep pressing Overclockers though for an update. Mine has been fine for the last 2 days. Very odd indeed and I'm wondering if using a different kettle lead has help, as crazy as it sounds but I've had no buzzing at all.

RoEy

Soldato
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX1000W-Power-Supply-Review/484

"It is very important to notice that HX1000W uses a completely different design from other power supplies from Corsair’s HX series. Not only HX1000W uses a dual-transformer design, but it is also manufactured by a different company, CWT. Other HX models are manufactured by Seasonic, which also manufactures power supplies from Corsair’s VX series. CWT is also in charge of Corsair’s TX series. Power supplies from Thermaltake are also manufactured by CWT and Toughpower 1,000 W and above units use the same internal design as Corsair HX1000W. In fact, internally Corsair HX1000W is identical to Thermaltake Toughpower 1,500 W – a model labeled 50% above the reviewed unit. The only difference between them is the use of multiple rail design on Thermaltake’s model."

CWT for the fail?

That info is out of date, the HX750 and HX850 are also both CWT, and are both very good PSUs but a more advanced design.

Man of Honour
I am subscribing to this thread. If you need anything from this point forward, please let me know and we'll take care of you ASAP. Sorry to see you having so much trouble and for the time you have spent with this issue.

Associate

As already posted in this thread... I found the whole process of RMA direct to Corsair was simple, clear directions and quick (9 working days - not including the weekend)

Can be quite daunting but simpler than involving a third party even though OCUK do a good job of acting for you..... you lose the ability to query directly to chase the RMA.

Associate
I am subscribing to this thread. If you need anything from this point forward, please let me know and we'll take care of you ASAP. Sorry to see you having so much trouble and for the time you have spent with this issue.

That is very helpful - could you sort my RMA out (via OC) asap their reference 192145.

Back
Top Bottom