Brazilian Grand Prix 2010, Interlagos Circuit - Race 18/19

Soldato
Actually quite enjoyed the race - but did anyone else think (apologies if it's already been mentioned!) that Vettel droppped a long way behind the safety car just before it came into the pits and he led the field past Junção and up the hill?

Not 100% on the rules these days but it seemed more than 10 car lengths to me. The safety car was completely out of shot as the cars came round and pulled up the hill.
I think there is a point at which the rule does not apply anymore, maybe after the lights go out or after a line before the finish line?

Soldato
Isnt that what i wrote :confused:

and when i say "punt", I mean a couple of quid.

I don't think 100/1 justifies how much needs to happen for him to win it to be honest. You generally get 4/1 on any driver from RBR/Ferrari/McLaren to retire, so that's 5x5x5 right there, that's 125/1 alone, without Hamilton's odds to win. Save your money :)

Soldato
After searching for the safetycar rule I think that this applies to every driver apart from the car in front, at some point the car in front can dictate the pace and every other driver must be within 10 car lengths of the car in front.

Man of Honour
OP
After searching for the safetycar rule I think that this applies to every driver apart from the car in front, at some point the car in front can dictate the pace and every other driver must be within 10 car lengths of the car in front.

I thought (may be wrong) had to keep up until SC turns it's lights of, indicating it is coming in, at which point leader acts as the SC till the SC line.

Associate
This is how Lewis could win:

Lewis - 1st - 25 points - 247
Vettel - 3rd - 15 points - 246
Webber - 6th - 8 points - 246
Alonso - 11th - 0 points - 246

Last edited:
Caporegime
If Webber wins and Alonso is second Red Bull will look right arses. :o

If they would have cared about webber they wouldn't have issued the instruction for him to turn his engine down and vettel to turn his up. They then could have backed webber for a win a few races ago and the title would already be over.

I don't think they care who wins the drivers title as long as it's vettel. I think if vettel is required to do a job for webber he will mysteriously be off the pace.

Soldato
I don't think they care who wins the drivers title as long as it's vettel. I think if vettel is required to do a job for webber he will mysteriously be off the pace.
I think Vettel would rather have Alonso win than to help Webber win it, if he is leading and Webber is 2nd it will be interesting to see if he suddenly overshoots a corner with 2 laps to go.

Man of Honour
I think Vettel would rather have Alonso win than to help Webber win it, if he is leading and Webber is 2nd it will be interesting to see if he suddenly overshoots a corner with 2 laps to go.

He does seem like a team player though. I can't possibly imagine RBR throwing away the WDC to Alonso given how important it is. no one remembers the WCC.

Man of Honour
OP

Guaranteed to move over. Vettle said this on one of the Friday interviews and confirmed by horner after the race. But it will only happen on the last lap and only if it guarantees WDC for RBR.

Yes, but I think the 10 car length still applies to the people behind the leader at that time.

yep

Edit - Maybe not

40.11 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.
As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and, other than on the last lap of the race, replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.

Last edited:
Associate
Wouldn't it be interesting, with 2 laps to go and Vettel still in the lead, just about to let Webber pass, if Massa threw his car into the wall and brought out a safety car, meaning Alonso was the champion :)

Caporegime
Wouldn't it be interesting, with 2 laps to go and Vettel still in the lead, just about to let Webber pass, if Massa threw his car into the wall and brought out a safety car, meaning Alonso was the champion :)

That would be outstanding, what would be better is Button taking out all three into the first corner with everyone a second before wondering why Hamilton is so far over on the wrong side of the track....... then boom :p

As for the 10 car thing, yes the leader doesn't have to be within 10 cars, erratic speeding up and slowing down isn't allowed, not accelerating fast out of a corner isn't erratic.

The reason Vettel got done previously was he wasn't the leader, by purposefully pushing the rest of the grid he gave the lead driver an unfair advantage, deliberately, and got punished.

The leader gets the advantage of choosing when to start racing slow everyone down, back everyone up and choose the moment to let rip but no is allowed to hold other people back in any other way.

Thing is, isn't the fact that Vettel did that proof enough that he's willing to help Webber, why wasn't Vettel just gunning it out of the corner trying to steal points off Webber?

If Alonso is third, Vettel will move over, and if any of them read Deko's post, Vettel will move over more than 3 laps from the end just in case :p Though obviously, it would be Massa who most likely suddenly crashed, largely because its more believable and ALonso will likely be in 3rd miles from anyone and Massa will likely be stuck behind someone really slow half way to the back :p

Caporegime

That would fall under race fixing I'd assume similar to the Piquet/Renault fiasco but knowing Ferrari they'd get away with it. :p

How about this for a scenario...

Vettel leading, Webber in 2nd, Alonso in 5th, Red Bull seeing that Vettel will become world champion tell Webber to hold station, an angry Webber then decides to crash his car and stick two fingers up at Red Bull for backing Vettel all season long... Alonso finishes 4th and is champion.

Caporegime

Actually having thought about Ferrari won't try this, because all Red Bull would need to is order Vettel to retire whilst behind the safety car.

Back
Top Bottom