Airfix

Associate
Just decided to get on with my HMS Ark Royal that I've had since Christmas. First model I've done in many, many years but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I tried hard to co-ordinate the painting with the building (when I used to make them growing up the painting took a back seat as all I wanted to do was build the things).

Anyway, after beginning it yesterday afternoon, I finished it an hour ago. One of the paint colours I had was wrong, so the planes look a bit weird...

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

The painting's a bit weak and my hands were a bit shaky, but there you go. I really enjoyed doing it again and plan to build another model soon!

Associate
Inspired by this thread I treated myself to an Airfix 1:32 Aston Martin DB5 (Ages 8+ :D ) . It's been years since I've done any airfix modelling, and I can say it's certainly a fun way to spend a couple of hours when it's cold and wet and windy outside!

Only thing I've noticed is the kit didn't come with all the paints (Missing Humbrol 11 Metallic Silver)! So I'll need to pop out and buy some Metallic Silver for the wheel trims / chrome, and perhaps a smaller paint brush, and a magnifying glass, and a wee craft knife to trim the excess plastic from the edges of the parts.

Associate
IMG_0347.JPG

I got myself a tamiya fully RC Sherman kit :D, been driving it all over peoples keyboards at work. Was great fun making a kit again, dont think I have done it since I was about 12!

Soldato
Just decided to get on with my HMS Ark Royal that I've had since Christmas. First model I've done in many, many years but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I tried hard to co-ordinate the painting with the building (when I used to make them growing up the painting took a back seat as all I wanted to do was build the things).

Anyway, after beginning it yesterday afternoon, I finished it an hour ago. One of the paint colours I had was wrong, so the planes look a bit weird...
DSC00094.jpg

The painting's a bit weak and my hands were a bit shaky, but there you go. I really enjoyed doing it again and plan to build another model soon!

Nice work there! I see you had a wobly hand whilst doing the black line! I had the same trouble when I made mine of the USS Enterprise.....

Good model though, mind asking how much?

Shame the real thing got sunk by single a lame-ass torpedo.

Man of Honour

General rule is no they don't, unless advertised. Some Airfix kits are aimed at beginners and do come with a selection of paints to get you started, but to be honest, although they are sufficient there is rarely enough paint supplied and they aren't great quality. Tamiya acrylic paint is very good as it goes but you'd have to source it separately.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Currently building Tamiya's 1/24th Nissan 370z :D Superb quality shake and bake kit. I got an airfix 1/32 scale Jaguar GT3 for my birthday and was surprised at the quality of the moldings. Not quite as good as the Tamiya molds but still very nice.

Associate
Good model though, mind asking how much?

Shame the real thing got sunk by single a lame-ass torpedo.

It was a Christmas present that I took ages over getting around to! However, from looking around, I think it would've been about £15.

I am going to do a plane and have a go at some dry brushing techniques. I'm pretty hopeless at the painting though - I guess practice makes perfect (or at least better!).

Back
Top Bottom