Cam Belt Question

Soldato
I've got a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v and had a call from my garage today saying that it's due it's cam belt changing. The car will be 4 years old in Dec and only has 31k on the clock. Is this right? Thought cam belts got changed around the 60k mark. I'd obviously sooner pay for the belt doing now but just wanna check I'm not being taken for a ride by the garage.

Tea Drinker
Don
If it were mine I wouldn't bother till 60k, hardly a stressed engine.

Obviously it's your risk if you don't, and now the garage have you thinking about it you'll be forever thinking about it

Associate
It's 4 years or 60k miles on my octavia. Admittedly I did leave it until year 8 before I did it though :O - but it's not necessarily something you want to leave to chance. The consequences if it does fail could be either a massive bill or replacement engine!

Soldato
That sounds very early, unless that particular engine has a known issue, in which case it should be free.
Is this from an official dealer?
Is it possibly an admin error?
I would certainly get a second opinion, skoda club forum or similar?

Soldato
Am I correct in thinking that you don't need to replace the timing belts on most VAG cars now?

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/10/media/downloads/Maintenance2010.pdf

Seems to suggest that the timing belts for most engines don't need to be replaced.

Where does it say that? The only relevant information I can find in that PDF is:

Timing Belt – replace at 110K miles (175 km) on Audi TT 2.0T with front wheel drive and A3 2.0L TDI only. Check condition of timing belt tensioning system, dampening pulleys, and idler pulleys and replace if necessary.

Associate
[TW]Fox;17763374 said:
Isnt that because it's an Audi USA document and those are the only two engines offered in the USA with a timing belt?

Could be? Why would it be different in Europe? I thought chain driven and belt driven engines were fairly different? If any engine could have a chain, why don't all engines use them?

Man of Honour
Could be? Why would it be different in Europe?

I guess because the belt driven engines are the crappy little ones the Yanks dont want? I've actually no idea if the bigger Audi engines have belts. I would imagine the 6 cylinder ones are chain driven?

Associate
[TW]Fox;17763742 said:
I guess because the belt driven engines are the crappy little ones the Yanks dont want? I've actually no idea if the bigger Audi engines have belts. I would imagine the 6 cylinder ones are chain driven?

My 2004 3.0V6 definitely had a belt. Do you know much Audi dealers charge in the USA to replace a timing belt and water pump? $1800. Yes.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17763742 said:

Depends what age we're talking. The 2.4 30v is belt driven for one, at least the older ones are.

And as far as I can see, VAG belt intervals for petrols are 4 years or 60k. I'd get it done for piece of mind including tensioners, pulleys and water pump.

Soldato
The interval on that engine is four years or 60k whichever is first (I think). Belts perish with age, as well as wearing with miles so probably not worth risking.

I had a belt go on an Arosa sport with the same engine about five years ago which only had 22k on the clock. It needed a new engine as most of the internals ended up in little bits at the bottom of the sump.

Soldato
To all saying they are just trying to make money.
The official line from Skoda on cambelts is 60k miles or 4yrs - whichever sooner.
They aren't "praying" on anyone.
You don't have to have the work done - but if the belt goes then the cost to repair will be a lot more than the belt would have cost.

My Octy vRS is 4yrs old in January and with 59k miles on the clock right now I'll be getting the Cambelt & Water pump done at the same time as it goes in for its service and MOT.

Sure, everything will cost me in the region of £700 - but an engine rebuild would cost more.

Back
Top Bottom