Airfix

Associate
Very impressive, I'm hopeless at painting stuff. I have no idea how people have the skill to do what you've done.

Thanks :), a lot of the things I tried to to (highlighting edges, weathering in the right places etc) are things I try to do when I make textures for 3d models at work. So the thought process is already there, its just limited by my paint brush skills lol, I am more used to a wacom pen and the ability to instantly delete mistakes ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
I made a model, I say I made I watched my Dad build it for me lol... it was an F-117, within minutes my sister had ran in, stepped on it and wrecked it. I cried, and have never built a model again.

I wouldn't mind building a Warrior or British Challenger II Tank or a Scimitar light tank. Any models of those for a beginner?

Man of Honour
Have spent the best part of six months on and off on this beast of a Hurricane. It's the Airfix 1:24 Mk1, and it's massive. But it's been quite enjoyable, even if it had me swearing a few times in frustration. :D

The decals are definitely the worst aspect of this model - they disintegrated before i could get them out of the water so I had fun hand painting some on. I realise it's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with the overall result.

5273668042_e1a8875d2b_b.jpg

5273667840_f32a5a2fd6_b.jpg

I realise the pics aren't great sorry about that!

Associate
Have spent the best part of six months on and off on this beast of a Hurricane. It's the Airfix 1:24 Mk1, and it's massive. But it's been quite enjoyable, even if it had me swearing a few times in frustration. :D

The decals are definitely the worst aspect of this model - they disintegrated before i could get them out of the water so I had fun hand painting some on. I realise it's not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with the overall result.

5273668042_e1a8875d2b_b.jpg

5273667840_f32a5a2fd6_b.jpg

I realise the pics aren't great sorry about that!

Very nice - What's next in the pipeline ?

Associate
Oh yeah, some happy memories here. :D
Some cracking builds you people.
I bought some WWII bombers when our local Woolworth's was shutting down - must get around to getting my hands sticky. :rolleyes:

Associate
Rumour has it I'm getting an Italeri 1/24 Mercedes Benz 540K from my big sister this year for xmas

Almost finished my Airfix Aston Martin DB5 Kit (just to glue the wobbly rear wheels back on due to me breaking the rear axles with my hamfistedness!)

I've actually had quite good results using matt paint for the body work then applying Pledge Multisurface Waxas a varnish to make a nice gloss finish.

I've found gloss paint shows a lot of brush strokes.

Looking forward to starting my Tamiya Honda F-1 RA 272 next! :D

Man of Honour
Very nice - What's next in the pipeline ?

Cheers Angus - I've got several here in the cupboard. I've got a Hasegawa Lancaster 1:72, a cheap Airfix 1:72 Defiant and a Hasegawa 1:32 109 Emil which I'm starting on now. I've also just bought myself the new Airfix 1:24 Mk1 Spitfire based on the strength of this Hurricane. I think its a new tooling (as it's listed as a new release for 2010) so it should be another frustrating build :D

Caporegime
I haven't made any since I was a little kid and I really want to do a couple of the Christmas period but I don't know any decent shops around here. In Aberystwyth there is a great model shop that sells hundreds of different models. :(

Caporegime
I think there is one in Chester but I'm not exactly sure where it is. Will to hunt for it when I got Christmas shopping in the week. :)

Most of the ones I made as a kid are pretty knackered now and obviously colours etc don't really match the real life planes. I've got 15 or so on my ceiling would be nice to have some really good models.

Associate
I appear to have joined the OCuk modeling club.....

I was telling the girlfriend ages ago how I used to have loads of models when I was young, and she went and bought me a rather nice 1/48 ME109 for christmas.....
Given it's about 25 years since I last stuck my fingers to my hair and got little decals all over my face, I thought I'd start out nice and easy..... So I bought a little 1/72 Typhoon which comes with paints..... Spent this afternoon glueing, painting, swearing at decals floating in bits in a saucer of water..... and I bloody loved it!!!

Before I make a right mess of the kit bought for me, does anyone have any recommendations for easy kits so I can practice? Specifically ww2 aircraft or tanks?

Also, what paint does everyone use? Humbrol, Tamiya, Citadel? Is there any great difference? I'm pretty settled on Acrylic easier to clean off the brush).....

Associate
I appear to have joined the OCuk modeling club.....

I was telling the girlfriend ages ago how I used to have loads of models when I was young, and she went and bought me a rather nice 1/48 ME109 for christmas.....
Given it's about 25 years since I last stuck my fingers to my hair and got little decals all over my face, I thought I'd start out nice and easy..... So I bought a little 1/72 Typhoon which comes with paints..... Spent this afternoon glueing, painting, swearing at decals floating in bits in a saucer of water..... and I bloody loved it!!!

Before I make a right mess of the kit bought for me, does anyone have any recommendations for easy kits so I can practice? Specifically ww2 aircraft or tanks?

Also, what paint does everyone use? Humbrol, Tamiya, Citadel? Is there any great difference? I'm pretty settled on Acrylic easier to clean off the brush).....

Yeah I used to love building models years ago too. (ships). Wife got me an airfix model of the Triumph TR4A car for xmas. (??) It's still half built on the settee. I'm so dying to trash it!!! & probably will (is it an age thing?)

Paint, seems the kits I get given randomly over the past few years have them included.

One thing I do now that I never used to do years ago is have the following at hand, a craft knife for burrs & a pair of tweezers. (much easier to hold small items with them & dip into drop of glue pre-deposited onto a surface. However I just want to throw the lot across the room these days.

Man of Honour
Thought I would resurrect this old thread.

I've been working on a 109, and it has taken me the best part of a year, on and off. It's a Hasegawa 1:32 Bf109E and was flown by the infamous Adolf Galland. I'm 99% happy with it - there's a few little issues, and I want to add an aerial wire somehow, which I will do once I've found the best way to do it.

Certainly an improvement over my other models I am definitely improving, but it's an incredibly time consuming hobby.

5887293922_80bac1e3cf_b.jpg

5886727097_6a88778046_b.jpg

Associate
Thought I would resurrect this old thread.

I've been working on a 109, and it has taken me the best part of a year, on and off. It's a Hasegawa 1:32 Bf109E and was flown by the infamous Adolf Galland. I'm 99% happy with it - there's a few little issues, and I want to add an aerial wire somehow, which I will do once I've found the best way to do it.

Certainly an improvement over my other models I am definitely improving, but it's an incredibly time consuming hobby.

Looks fantastic mate. Im no expert, it may not be suitable at all, but what about a peice of thick fishing line? You can get it various colours, a dark line may fit the bill! Not sure how you'd fix it in place though.

Back
Top Bottom