OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB

Soldato
Where do i find that and what does that do.

Assuming you are running a modern (ish) PC with SATA Hard Drives (rather than the older IDE drives). Then it stands for Advanced Host Control Interface, it's really what SATA is all about (sort of), supports functions like hot-plug and NCQ (GOOGLE is your friend here).

I would suggest having a quick look at the OCZ forums (there have also been a number of posts recently asking the same sort of questions).

See http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/index.php

There is a wealth of information there and these are the real experts on these drives (no disrespect to anyone on our forum). There are even a number of OCZ employees that post and offer help.

PS. To answer your specific question. The setting you mention is in the BIOS, usually under Integrated Peripherals.
I would also recommend checking what firmware the drive comes with (use something like CDinfo, or Speedstep to do this) and if not the latest, usually recommended to flash it to the latest.

PPS. I got a vertex 2E 120GB just yesterday. So you may find it already has the latest firmware. Though version 1.24 is already in production (not sure what that brings to the table).

PPPS. Depending on whether this is going to become your boot drive (I'm assuming so), or a secondary drive. Then I would really recommend you reading up on the Sandforce forum FAQ prior to installing Windows (assuming Windows 7 here). See link above. This wil tell you all you need to know and warn you of potential pitfalls. Good luck.

Last edited:
Associate
Just order the OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB. Is there anythink i have to setup in windows/bios, or is it just plug in and loads windows 7. Do i need a ssd controller?

After nearly a week of google search and reading on the forum, I finally grabbed the bull by the horn last night and proceeded with the installation of my new Vertex 2 60gb.
1. Downloaded all important motherboard drivers & software to USB drive
2. unwrapped the drive and connected it to my secondary PC as a spare
3. used the OCZ firmware update tool to flash from 1.11 to the latest 1.24
4. disconnected & tranfered to my main system(see sig.)
5. Disconnected all other drives and connected only vertex to 1st SATA port
6. loaded default BIOS settings and enabled AHCI
7. loaded windows 7 64bit disk & let windows do its thing
8.on completion, installed intel Rapid Storage(the lastest on Intel site)
9.installed Nod32 64bit antivirus
10. connected to internet & loaded all required windows updates
11.reconnected my 2 storage drives on SATA port 2 & 3
12.verified that Trim is functional
13.installed office 2010
14.minor tweaks (moved my document,music, video, downloads etc from c:\to D:\; disabled hibernation, prefetch, sleep mode, drive indexing. Enabled advanced power mode
15. Installed all other apps.
16. carried out: Atto benchmark and results Max Read: 288MB/sec
Max Write: 273MB/sec
WEI: 7.7 for Vertex2 and 7.4 for the rest
System is on stock speed and seem very stable & smooth (touch wood...)
Might attempt some mild overclock next week if no problem crops up...

Back
Top Bottom