Rights to cancel a holiday?

Soldato
Telling people to get a grip when they have an irrational fear seems like the logical thing to do, but in reality, it is impossible to understand what it is like.

My GF (who's 18 btw, before anyone mentions kids are scare of thunder :p) has a massive fear of Thunder.

So much so that in summer when theres a few dark clouds in the sky its pretty much impossible to get her to go out of the house.

She's getting better with gentle and gradual exposure to it, but its so hard to understand how you can be so scared to the point where you have a panic attack of something that can't even hurt you?

M0T

M0T

Soldato
OP
Right, I have clearly failed to explain the situation properly. The issue is there all the time, but at a low level. She becomes very nervous when meeting new people and often is unable to say more than one word yes or no answers.

It only becomes a serious problem when there is no escape, i.e. if you go to a bar, or shopping theres always a way out (you can go home). If you are on holiday then there isn't.

She is willing to go, I just don't want to put her in that situation.

Soldato
He promised you something and is not delivering it. That's a breach of contract, take him to court if he doesn't budge.

By the way, I'm not saying this to be mean but I think your girlfriend should be tested for schizophrenia if she hasn't already.

Soldato
Right, I have clearly failed to explain the situation properly. The issue is there all the time, but at a low level. She becomes very nervous when meeting new people and often is unable to say more than one word yes or no answers.

It only becomes a serious problem when there is no escape, i.e. if you go to a bar, or shopping theres always a way out (you can go home). If you are on holiday then there isn't.

She is willing to go, I just don't want to put her in that situation.

If she is willing to go then go!

It will probably do her good some exposure to new people :)

Make your room your "safe place" and make sure she knows the quickest way there then there is an escape :)

Soldato
I'd get your girlfriend to go and see the doctor, she can get a referral to see a psychologist and hopefully get put onto a cognitive behavioural therapy program to help her with her social phobia. She might also get put on a light-moderate dose of anti-depressants to help with the anxiety and those are made of win!

Man of Honour

Yes there is. It's a holiday not a prison camp. You have a PRIVATE BEDROOM. There is escape.

Soldato

Sounds like a female version of Raj from The Big Bang Theory.....

Izi

Izi

Soldato
im not scared of strangers, but id really rather not share a house with them if i had thought id be sharing with friends.

Associate
Man some people are weird...

Group leader is being an idiot but if anything you should purposely go in the chalet with strangers just to get your gf to confront her irrational fear. She really needs to get it sorted.

From my experience of bunking down with randomers it often turns out a right laugh, you met new people and still got your friends in the chalet next door - bonus.

Associate
Today we received an email stating that we would draw lots for chalets at the Airport. So there is now a chance we could end up in the (better) chalet with a load of strangers.

Hang on, if you're drawing lots then everyone is drawing lots so there is also a chance its going to be an even mix of strangers and people you know!

I politely asked the group leader if he could ensure we didn't end up with the strangers...

How is he going to do that? He could put you in a certain chalet but he cant guarantee who will have to share with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Women... always a hassle. :D

More seriously though, just go with the flow but make prior arrangements with all your friends that if you do draw the short straw one of the group will swap you for that chalet..
as being friends, they should know the situation your GF is in.
Any real friends will do this without even thinking about it.
At the end of the day, everyone you ever meet is a stranger until you get to know them. Tell your GF it will be a good exercise in overcoming this fear.

Back
Top Bottom