Winter/Cold weather tyre - What do people recommend?

Soldato
I have decided to stick with my nearly new pirelli pzero neros on the the Type R over winter. I will no doubt die in a horrible ice and fire involved accident because it went less than 7c :D

Soldato
TBH i think this is only the case in very few incidents over internet forums. Could you name anybody IRL who would even have heard of the phrase winter tyres? I dont think i could.

I dont think it cracked 2C yesterday morning throughout my entire 50 mile cross country commute to the office. My car was...exactly the same as it always is, no TC lights at all, nothing :confused:

Same, when we had that random couple of freezing cold mornings a couple of weeks ago my car felt no different (Conti SportContact 3 tyres), so I'm pretty confident that they'll be acceptable in the snow, should we (hopefully) have some this winter.

Not sure what the ESP will think however, might have to knock it off incase it says "no you're not going anywhere" ;)

Soldato
No one in this thread is telling anyone they should fit winter tyres. The thread started because Gibbo asked about opinions of winter tyres and if anyone had experience of them. A few of us have direct experience and said they offer better performance over UHP summer tyres in the colder months. I don't see why we have to keep going over and over it. If people want to fit winter tyres let them and if they want to keep summer tyres then keep them. Summer tyres aren't going to kill you like some have quoted but dont be under any illusion they are as good as decent winter tyres on our cold roads (not icy or snowy).

Associate
Yeah totally chap.

In fact I'm going to go and buy a new car tomorrow. I've decided about the following:

Winter tyres - definitely not worth it, only snows 2% of the time. Who cares about the fact that not only are they infinitely better in snow, they're also as good if not better than summer tyres for about 4 months of the year in the colder temperatures.

Airbags - well I probably crash once every 10 years, that's like 0.01% my trips. No way am I having them.

ABS - again, my ABS compressor might have kicked in once in the last year, who's to say it's going to kick in again in the next year? I'll definitely scrap that on my next car. Waste of money.

Windscreen wipers - well these might reduce your drag coefficient in DRY conditions by like 1%. How could you possibly want something that reduces your dry performance? Who cares about when it rains, you'll be fine with some rainex. Sod the dangerous conditions that might actually cause you to crash, just focus on how the car performs in perfect conditions right?

Last edited:
Associate
In terms of saving your life, imagine driving along a major road when a car about to enter fails to stop at the give-way sign because of the conditions. This situation happened to me in Canada a few times (amazingly even in Alberta winter tyres are not mandatory in all places). With winter tyres I was able to make a controlled stop or controlled lane change. Yes it snows less often here, but when it does there are a lot more idiots to do something stupid like that!

Probably though it'll be the days when you think there's no ice, because you can't see it, that winter tyres really save you. These kind of conditions are pretty common in the UK.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes not having air bags is totally the same thing as not spending 500 quid on a set of tyres in England when your existing tyres offer good performance on non snow covered roads.

Totally.

How many of you paid extra for your airbags or abs?

Associate
[TW]Fox;17773807 said:
Yes not having air bags is totally the same thing as not spending 500 quid on a set of tyres in England when your existing tyres offer good performance on non snow covered roads.

Totally.

How many of you paid extra for your airbags or abs?

Great argument

Man of Honour
Great argument

No worse than yours! You brought air bags etc into it.

You guys know what I am like with tyres, if I was experiencing reduced grip sufficient enough to be noticeable I would change tyres and have done in the past. But I don't.

Maybe because contrary to what everyone seems to think not every tyre performs the same. Problem is that neither side can prove their argument either way.

Now go and buy a canoe for the flooding :p

Back
Top Bottom