Bridge Camera

Associate
Does anyone have experience of using the Panasonic Lumix FZ100 camera, I am thinking of purchasing one and was wondering if anyone could share any thoughts about it.

We currently use a Fuji Finepix Z1 as a P&S, and would like something with a bit more punch, and zoom for that matter.

It costs around £340 from the rainforest store :)

Al

Associate
OP
We looked at some DSLR's and came away feeling, that yes they would be a better camera, but felt we can do without the expense and complexity at present. The camera we buy now has to be easily usable by both of us ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
We had a look at a few DSLR's and the other half was quite worried by the complexity of what you can do, so I am looking at a bridge camera to act as a stepping stone for us to move onto a DSLR in a year or two's time.

The thought of having to change lenses was the nail in the coffin for the DSLR idea, and seeing as this is going to be a camera for both of us to use, I have to get something that she will be happy using.

Last edited:
Associate
Just get a decent compact which has some manual settings (shutter/aperture priority and manual exposure modes). A camera which doesn't fit in a pocket is a major hassle and and bridge doesn't deliver much more quality for the extra inconvenience.

Stick to the big brands and just go with what you like the look of.

Associate
OP
Hmmm, we already use the fuji for our pocket/bag camera, and was looking for something that would give us a good zoom facility + manual modes for the times we need them.

Associate
It doesn't sound like you're massively into photography *yet* so maybe don't jump for the DSLR for now. Read up on composition and lighting and see if you make any nice images with the compact.

As you may have seen on here quite a few people go for a DSLR and struggle.

Soldato
I'd look at a Canon 1000d body and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS Lens. The body is £290 new and the lens can be had for around £155, making a total of £445. It may be a little over budget but you won't be disappointed with the results- it'll be far in front of any bridge camera. You can still use full auto or shutter priority and aperture priority modes if you wish, as well as the obvious full manual control.

If you wanted to go wider, add a used kit lens later on for £70 or so. It may be more costly and sound more complicated but it isn't- you'll be please with the results and you'll be able to expand your knowledge and skill levels to grow into it and take advantage of the kit more.

Associate
OP
Will have a look at that option and run it by the better half tonight.

It doesn't sound like you're massively into photography *yet* so maybe don't jump for the DSLR for now. Read up on composition and lighting and see if you make any nice images with the compact.
As you may have seen on here quite a few people go for a DSLR and struggle.

Good advice :)

Soldato
I have the 1000D with 55-250 lens, if you wish to know more about either of them just fire away.

As said if you arent sure about the manual modes stick it to full auto for a bit... for the price I cant fault it at all, I had 3 bridge cameras prior to this, my first DSLR, certainly not looking back! For the times you need a concenienct little camera yes a DSLR isnt ideal, I took mine out with me on my last evening on holiday and it got soaked and dropped. Hence why im looking for a compact for such occasions where you want to capture a memory and not care about it being "wrong"

Associate
I would skip the 1000D.

If you're wanting something that is not too big/heavy in DSLR then perhaps you should consider spending a bit more and going for a Pentax-x or-r you can buy second hand manual lenses really cheap and they're compact, cheap and cheerful as DSLRs go.

Associate
The Pentax cameras are the smallest I believe, have great senosrs and are easy to use with good lenses. At the entry level all the DSLR kit lenses will be similar.

I suggest you try them in the shop and see which you like the feel of rather than trying to compare without doing so. Entry level DSLR is entry level DSLR - it's much less about the paper comparisons and much more about how it feels to you and how easy you find it to use.

Associate
OP
Right after having a good discussion we have decided to go a try out a Canon 1000D at one of the usual high street camera stores. We have decided to get a camera with a kit lens (18-55) and then after xmas purchase another lens (Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS Zoom Lens) when we hopefully have built up some experience of how to utilise it properly.

Now in the store they sell :

Canon EOS 1000D + 18-55mm Kit @ £349
Canon EOS 1000D + 18-55 IS Lens @ £369

i presume its better going for the IS lens option?

Al

Soldato
Nice choice on the 1000D you will love it. :)

But, I disagree on the general sentiment of bridge camera's on here. I have various compacts and a DSLR on loan. However one of my favorite camera's is my 'super zoom' bridge camera the Canon SX10.

It's been a fantastic learning tool and is capable of producing great photo's as long as you stick with ralatively low iso's. The standout feature is the (35mm equiv) 28mm to 560mm f2.8-5.6 lens. The convenience is fantastic of having such a versatile les, and I have found that it can resolve more detail than a 350D on a kit lens. Ofcourse it would be a different matter with better quality glass on the 350D, but then the costs between the two options becomes incomparable.

Uimately a DSLR is better if you want to get more serious, as you can be more creative with apeture and iso settings etc, but I can't imagine any beginner would regret a good bridge camera - I certainly don't.

Associate
OP
Well been into town, and something came back with me :)

DSCF1768.jpg

Now to figure out how to use it!

Al

Back
Top Bottom