ebay issue, advice please - sold a camera

Soldato
Hi,

I recently sold a camera and in the advert I said that it was used but didn't realise you can get shutter counts so didn't put this in the advert.

As i'm still quite new to dSLR's, anyway it was sold on ebay and the member never asked any questions anyway he has just emailed me saying that he wants a £50 refund or will send it back because of the high shutter count ( just over 40,000 )

Otherwise he will contact ebay buyer protection to resolve this.

Where do I stand on this as I think the advert said it was used and description was to the best of my knowledge. He paid via paypal if that is any help ??

Thanks,

Soldato
He's an idiot and he should have asked prior to bidding.

You've done nothing wrong by not including the shutter count and he's bought it as described.

Unfortunately if he does go crying to ebay, it's 90% that they'll side with him.

Associate
Totally his responsibility to ask before purchasing, and anyone buying a DSLR second hand should know this. He's trying it on, you shouldn't refund him. Besides, 40k is hardly a high shutter count...

Soldato
If it's that important, he either takes a chance and lives with it, or asks before buying. Reply saying the item was as described and he should have asked before bidding.

I presume you didn't describe usage in any way did you? Hardly used, little use, low shutter count etc?

Soldato
OP
Thanks, helped a lot.

worried that he will still try and go to ebay and either give me negative feedback and/or get a refund through ebay. Is there a t&c I can post to show him where I stand ?

Thanks again

Soldato
OP
It was on my messages. But he has now opened a case with ebay before i could respond

I have now respond to him .. but don't think he will reply .. is it worth escalating the case?

Soldato
used camera in being used non shocker,

if i sell a used car you wouldnt moan at me because it had 40000 miles on teh clock now would you?

you'd simply not care and buy on overall condition or you would ask such an important question before you hand over your monies.

good luck OP

Associate
Just make sure that you keep responding to the ebay case whenever it's updated. Keep calm and stick to the facts. State clearly he didn't ask about shutter counts.

I suspect he's trying it on to get you to give him a partial refund - don't. It was advertised as used, he's bought it as used. His fault for not asking.

Tell him you will offer a full refund once it's returned to you in the condition you sent it, and once you have confirmed the serial number is the same. Even if you don't have it, it'll make him think twice about pulling any fast ones.

The worst that happens is ebay will make him return it, trackable and at his own expense. It won't look bad on you.

If he threatens you with negative feedback, report him to ebay - they do not look kindly on feedback extortion. If he gives you one anyway, respond to it calmly and factually. Now sellers can't neg they're becoming more common; how you respond says more about you than the neg.

Caporegime
I've escalated the case now and hope that ebay will side with me. I'm not holding my breath tho.

There are quite a few horror stories around of eBay siding with the +buyer+ without even checking the facts.

Seems the seller is likely to get screwed whether he's in the wrong or not. eBay also reserve the right to take funds from your paypal account to cover the cost of refunds - without your permission!

Be afraid!

Back
Top Bottom