• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HIS 4870 Replacement

Soldato
The performance between the two is very silimiar. Not many games support PhysX so no point really. For gaming CUDA won't be much of help.
I would stick with a 6870 as it leaves you with the option of crossfire. You can still use the bottom PCI slot if you add a second card, so maybe take out the soundcard and see how the onboard is for you first.
As for price drops, there is a possibilty that they'll drop when the 6900 series are released, but the chances of these happening are quite low, although the 470 is at a great price at the moment so it might pressure AMD.

Associate
I'd consider a 470 at current prices, but then I recently bought a 6870 and love it :)

The 6870 sort of replaces the 5830, whilst the 6850 replaces the 5770 if that helps.

I don't think prices will drop much to be honest, NV are just getting rid of thier 460 and 470 stock so they can release the 560 and 570 or whatever they're called in the new year. Once the stock has gone I expect prices may stay roughly where they are...

Associate
OP
Very interesting, however I'm not so keen on hacking as it will void the warranty. I think I would have been better off getting an Intel motherboard that can handle Crossfire and SLI.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
I've decided to go with a single 6870 setup. The HIS and Sapphire cards are on offer. Which is the better one? I have heard that Sapphire is better but not quite sure why?

Associate
You can change the fan speed with ati ccc or msi afterburner.

I didn't quite explain properly, you should be able to change the fan speed on your 4870 with both these programs. I'm in the same boat as you, going from 4870 to 6870 but still haven't really made up my mind if I'm gonna do it.

Back
Top Bottom