Question about Canon 5D

Associate
Hi Nomore,

as someone has already pointed out, the Canon 5D cannot save pictures internally as TIF files, only JPEG and Raw.

However when you import them into Digital Photo Professional, which is the software supplied by Canon with the Camera, you can save the files as TIF files (as you can also do with Lightroom).

Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
The reason I asked is because of this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18207103

We asked the photographer to provide either RAW or RAW converted to TIFF, and he said he would shoot in RAW.

After getting JPEG images that were poorly exposed, I wanted the RAW files to try to save the images by pulling out the extra detail that would have been captured.

Anyway, he told us that he doesn't have RAW because he shot in JPEG.

The short of version of a long story is that today he said he would send me a disc with TIFF files. I said to him that it's pointless converting JPEGs to TIFFs... he then said that he made a mistake telling me he shot in JPEG, and that he shot in TIFF.

Knowing that most modern cameras offer RAW or JPEG made me question what he was telling me. I looked in the PDF user guide and it clearly states RAW or various compression levels of JPEG.

So, suspected he's trying to deceive me, and I just wanted to confirm that is the case.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like he's spouting a lot of BS to me. If you get any off the tiff files its pretty easy to tell if they've come from 8bit jpegs or 16bit raw just by examining the highlights/shadows histogram.

Back
Top Bottom