• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who has waited for 6970 ?

Soldato
I wanted to wait for a 6990 but not sure I can wait until next year. Might wait and see what the 6870 is like though, still quite a wait for that too (when you're impatient).
So now I'm tempted to just do 5870 CF. Don't expect that to match a 6990, but hopefully will be as good as a 6970.
Or I could get a 5970...
But then a couple of these are very tempting too!

Soldato
Is it not common for xfire users to have to juggle drivers for best performance in certain games.

I never juggle drivers.

As to find out that new drivers are worse in some games that people play that they go back to a previous and that happens on both NV & ATI & that's even without multi GPU.

I have never changed drivers back & forth for games & its extremely rare for people to change drivers depending on what game they are playing back & forth & more common for people to say that others do it than actually are doing it.

More exaggeration.

Last edited:
Soldato
waiting for either 6970 or 6950, although Im getting sick of my 4870 overheating atm

Went to fire up my 4870 for COD and the noise and heat omg... just exited, rather wait till the new build to enjoy that and crysis for early next year :)

Im definatly gonna look for a 3rd party "silent" cooler for the next card i get !

Soldato
I'm sorry but what?

I have run all those setups and more.. 4870x2 / 4870x2 +4870 / 5970 / 5970 + 5850 / 5970 + 5870.. / 5970 x2...

The ONLY issue was with 2x 5970..
Thing Is I actually follow amd's directions on installing drivers and can actually troubleshoot well.

The part of IT you have been working in must be a simple desk job :/

Why can't you just accept the fact that just because you had no issues, doesn't mean that others have not. And when they do, it doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. Are we all supposed to be impressed by your ability to read instructions and troubleshoot. You really come off as smarmy and full of yourself. I'm sure a lot of other people can do this trouble shooting just as well as you and still have issues. There have been plenty of posts on these forums about driver / game issues / strange behaviour. And even the release notes list bug fixes and known issues. As soon as someone says they have a problem, you come wading in with how you have no problems and it must be user error. Sick of it really.

As for my issues with ATI - I had no issues with ATI until I went to non-reference 5 series cards, resulting in me returning 2 out of 3 Sapphire Toxic 2gig 5870's for GSOD problems. The diagnosis was power management issues in the cards firmware (which wasn't reference) conflicting with newer driver sets. The replacement reference 5870's had no such problems. By the way, my Saphire 5970 4gig cards in quadfire scale nicley and no problems, especially with latest drivers (other then the odd synching issue with displayport). That doesn't mean other people have not had issues with 5970's in quadfire. Of course they have. In your case, maybe you should have put your superior troubleshooting skills to better use before ditching your 2nd 5970.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol so glad things actually go wrong with pcs it forces us to learn more about our rigs and how they work

Any one want the easy life go play a console

Every one at some point will have problems no matter how well u read instructions

Permabanned
Why can't you just accept the fact that just because you had no issues, doesn't mean that others have not. And when they do, it doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. Are we all supposed to be impressed by your ability to read instructions and troubleshoot. You really come off as smarmy and full of yourself. I'm sure a lot of other people can do this trouble shooting just as well as you and still have issues. There have been plenty of posts on these forums about driver / game issues / strange behaviour. And even the release notes list bug fixes and known issues. As soon as someone says they have a problem, you come wading in with how you have no problems and it must be user error. Sick of it really.

As for my issues with ATI - I had no issues with ATI until I went to non-reference 5 series cards, resulting in me returning 2 out of 3 Sapphire Toxic 2gig 5870's for GSOD problems. The diagnosis was power management issues in the cards firmware (which wasn't reference) conflicting with newer driver sets. The replacement reference 5870's had no such problems. By the way, my Saphire 5970 4gig cards in quadfire scale nicley and no problems, especially with latest drivers (other then the odd synching issue with displayport). That doesn't mean other people have not had issues with 5970's in quadfire. Of course they have. In your case, maybe you should have put your superior troubleshooting skills to better use before ditching your 2nd 5970.

He has a point though, people far too often have a whinge about one manufacturer's drivers being crap and claim that they don't work, ever. It's annoying that these people can't look beyond this instead of feeling the need to let everyone know how their experience is the only possible experience any one else will ever have, ever.

While I very rarely have driver problems, I can appreciate how frustrating they are when I get them, but seriously people need to calm down, the frequency some people get driver issues here suggests a fatal case of PEBKAC over anything else.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
He has a point though, people far too often have a whinge about one manufacturer's drivers being crap and claim that they don't work, ever. It's annoying that these people can't look beyond this instead of feeling the need to let everyone know how their experience is the only possible experience any one else will ever have, ever.

While I very rarely have driver problems, I can appreciate how frustrating they are when I get them, but seriously people need to calm down, the frequency some people get driver issues here suggests a fatal case of PEBKAC over anything else.

Well said sir.

Soldato
Both sides need to calm down. Those screaming about how their drivers never work and those rubbing it in saying anyone who cant get drivers working are effectively morons. It's the smugness of some people that annoys me though.

Back
Top Bottom