Grado SR60i Headphones, any opinions?

Soldato
I have the SR80's and I think they are by far the best headphones I've ever owned. They do leak a lot of noise so I generally don't use them on buses or trains but apart from that you pretty much can't buy better.

Incredible, incredible sound quality.

Associate
Probably the wrong section. I think some folks find them uncomfortable, I have Alessandro Grado MS-1's which I think fundamentally are the same design and I don't find them uncomfortable at all.
I don't know how close they are in performance but I'd imagine pretty close and I like my MS-1's a lot.

Associate
I have a pair and find them brilliant. I use them at work for about six hours a day. I do find my ears get a bit hot if I have them on for too long in one go but they are not uncomfortable. I forget that however as the sound quality is amazing, very pleased I have a pair.

Soldato
Once bedded in they are excellent. I had a pair for 8 months and loved them to bits. Sound quality was clear, mids and highs were great and bass was pretty good(better than expected). Unfortunately they don't quite look like £90 headphone. Mine also developed the Grado rattle (google grattle) so went back

Last edited:
Associate
Demo'd some and I found them nice, but as other have said they leak quite a bit of sound so they're a no no for me as I need a pair that are silent (listening to music at work and watching films or listening to music in bed next to the missus)

Got a pair of Pioneer SE-MJ51 which I demo'd at the recent motor show at Earls Court and found them great. They where only £44 so cheap but pretty good sounding.

From memory they're as good sounding as the the SR60s but without the sound leaking and upper class name.

Soldato
Buy the Beyerdynamic 770 Pros I have in the MM. I guarantee they are better :p

The plastic Grados sound pretty good, but to be blunt, the construction is pitiful. They feel like they came out of a Christmas cracker.

Last edited:
Associate
Bought a pair back in 07 so they might have changed. The sound is good but they're annoying to live with. When new, the pads used to leave dye marks on my head, so I sent an email to grado who told me that it was a rare reaction with the oils on my body and the cushions. I suppose that's why they turned the water in the sink dark blue when I put them in there too :D.

Also one of the cables gets more and more twisted over time until I spend 5 min untwisting it. And they implode my head after several hours. Stopped using them lately because the pads are falling to pieces but plan on buying some Senn HD414 pads to replace them. Might even sort out the twisty cable if I encounter a rare moment of un-laziness.

Soldato
My general impression of Grados is that they're good, but like many headphone brands are horrendously overpriced in this country.

I picked up a set of IGrados on the cheap and use them as my gym phones. Allegedly they share drivers with the SR60s but different pads etc make for quite different sounding headphones.

May be worth looking at Goldring DR150s as an affordable alternative.

Edit: There was a thread on Head-Fi a while back comparing Goldring DR150s with different Grados: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/480546/goldring-dr150-vs-grado
I've seen other people saying they preferred lower end grados though. The SR60s have quite a brash sound - kind of marmite like I suppose in that people tend to love it or hate it. I don't think it's particularly neutral so might not be the best for music production.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been using Grado 225s for about 6 years, the quality does feel a bit plasticy but all honestly I can't fault the sound quality. For those who feel the Grados are a bit uncomfortable, grab a Beyer 770 headband pad it snaps right on over the hard Grado band. Sennheiser hd-414 pads are nice too.

Soldato
Forget entry level Grados, silly prices.

Just order some alessandro MS1 and enjoy much better sound per £.

Senn hd25 are the best when it comes to portable phones though, totally put me off any upgrades in the last 2 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom