People with 8 GB of ram, thoughts please

Soldato
vista 64 bit here with 8gb of ram.

cant see me ever using 4gb again to be honest.

i did notice a change when i used 8gb than 4gb.

ive got used to the speed of my pc now and sometimes feel's slowish but im sure it is pretty quick to some people's pc's.

Man of Honour
Only way I could tell the difference is if I took 4GB out and used it for a couple of weeks.

But I can't be bothered doing that..... :cool:

6GB seems to be the golden amount nowadays, but for the people on dual channel - you just go with 8GB.

Also as said already, on Windows 7 64 so it eats up the RAM :)

Soldato
I'm running 8GB ram, however previous system had 2, 4 then 6GB.

This is on XP64, but there is a difference between 4GB and 6GB. I would say 6GB the sweet spot unless I go crazy on the application loading.

I run multiple monitors, and can have 2 visual studios + a couple of SQL management studios, then I may drop into photo editing, or dreamweaver. Then for a break I may load a computer game. I could manage with 6 or even 4, but with 8GB I can go crazy without to much HDD/swap file usage.

For most running single apps 4GB should be fine. There is the advantage if you get 8GB together it's all matched, and for life of system you'll never need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeph i got 8gb in my system which is also my system max and yeph i have noticed a differenced when i used windows 7 64bit system stop telling me out of memory when i am using memory hungry programs. at idle watching tv my memory is

Total 8190
Cached 3362
Available 5019
Free 1700

Soldato
Ive gone from 4gig to 6 and 8gig, but even under windows 7-64bit I always notice windows performance is a little faster with 6gig or 8gig.

Theres less difference to no difference from 6-8gig though, but oddly from 4 to 6gig I feel it.

Might just be in my head, but then my rigg is left on 24/7 and running programs constantly :)

Soldato
OP
well I got in a corsair ssd f60, not as amazing as most people say really, the only real wow factor is booting up and seeing the animation stop before it finishes and a flash of the welcome screen and into windows, other than that not overly impressed, not got the ram yet, maybe a Xmas present, lol.

Back
Top Bottom