abs?

Soldato
99.98% pointless on a car exclusively used on the road.

I'd argue the opposite. When on a track you are focused, applying the brakes at the right time and shouldn't be panic braking, on top of this, abs is very annoying when driving spiritedly. On the road, you are not and more likely to be put in a panic in a situation where you need to be hard on the brakes and are more likely to lock the wheels/not cadence brake properly. Here it is much better to just plant your foot as hard as you can and let the car sort it out.

Edit: Have I completely mis understood that reply, and it was directed at the switched ABS comment? :(

Associate
what year and engine ?

mine is a 2000 W 172
I was told that the rings are part of the drive shaft. If they are not that is excellent news.

bit long winded, ive got a '92 16v with a 1*2 engine in it.

I'm using 172 rear brakes, but i've swapped the rear 172 abs rings for mk1 front abs rings. Fronts are removable according to Renault themselves and the rears are not meant to be, but they both are!

You can tap the rings off rear mk1 and mk2 brakes and front mk1 cv joints. I'm fairly sure you can just tap them off front 172 cv joints too.

hope that sort of makes sense

:edit yes, looks like they tap off to me: http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/-- The MK1/IMG_6148.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
What?

I'm really not sure thats correct at all, the whole point of ABS is it uses the individual wheel speed sensors to monitor the rotation of each individual tyre, under braking once that tyre exceeds its maximum traction level the system pulses the brakes till the wheel regains braking traction, the system is checking the wheel speed sensors constantly so it knows how much power to apply to the brakes, provided you keep constant pressure on the brake pedal the ABS system will do the rest.

If the system worked as you've stated above it would be pointless, furthermore it goes against all my experiences of ABS in countless cars.

The ABS in my old Saab 9-3 and P11 Primera worked properly i.e. as you describe. But the Mondeo did exactly what Nathan E said - it would keep crunching away after going over a manhole cover until you reached a stop or released the pedal. Very dangerous and very annoying. I'm not sure if there was a problem with my car but I'm pretty sure it was just a poor implementation on the mk3.

Permabanned
bit long winded, ive got a '92 16v with a 1*2 engine in it.

I'm using 172 rear brakes, but i've swapped the rear 172 abs rings for mk1 front abs rings. Fronts are removable according to Renault themselves and the rears are not meant to be, but they both are!

You can tap the rings off rear mk1 and mk2 brakes and front mk1 cv joints. I'm fairly sure you can just tap them off front 172 cv joints too.

hope that sort of makes sense

:edit yes, looks like they tap off to me: http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/-- The MK1/IMG_6148.jpg

Just ordered one from clio spares £16 delivered. Result!

Soldato
What?

I'm really not sure thats correct at all, the whole point of ABS is it uses the individual wheel speed sensors to monitor the rotation of each individual tyre, under braking once that tyre exceeds its maximum traction level the system pulses the brakes till the wheel regains braking traction, the system is checking the wheel speed sensors constantly so it knows how much power to apply to the brakes, provided you keep constant pressure on the brake pedal the ABS system will do the rest.

If the system worked as you've stated above it would be pointless, furthermore it goes against all my experiences of ABS in countless cars.

It is 100% fact for an Elise. Which does have EBD.

I was just as surprised at how shockingly pointless and almost dangerous it was as you.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elise+ice+mode

The reason, I think, most cars don't show the problem up easily is because they have soft suspension and/or don't have EBD (RWD cars only). Probably requires a "simplistic" (i.e. cheap) ABS system as well. I'd highly doubt if like a 911 or even high-end BMW/Audi would have these problems.

Soldato
Actually looks like 911's are affected :o

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/534934-well-abs-ice-mode-finally-got-me.html

Very interesting thread ^ Post #8 especially.

I think the issue with my 2004 111R was partly a combination of a hard suspension and a soft (i.e. overservo'd) brake pedal. This meant if you were braking into a corner and hit a bump. That bump could quite easily result in a jerk on the brake pedal (i.e. human body getting rocked around a bit from the bump!) and therefore applying a truck load of extra brake pressure "accidently". Obviously this can confuse the ABS. They fixed the overservo'd brakes on the 2006+ cars. The pedal is now pretty rock hard, almost like a Series 1 Elise. So it's difficult for a bump in the road to make you accidently put a "jolt" into the brake pedal.

Back
Top Bottom