***The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread***

Soldato
Watched the giantbomb quick look and this game looks janky. the loading times, the bugs, the menus ect. Think I'll buy need for speed hot pursuit instead.

My taste in games has changed so much. I must have spent a good 100 hours in GT2 on the PS2 back in the day.

Try not to let any of this put you off. The load times for this game actually get better the more you play, and the crammed network didn't help. PD are sorting this.

the menus aren't too bad. You can find stuff, eventually....

Plays ok with a DS3 pad, anyhow up to you, as if you buy it and don't like it then you'll blame us.. lol

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Done all gold on the licenses but the Grand Tour first event is almost impossible? Can barely scrape bronze (well I would if I didn't just restart to avoid the menus).

Soldato
Well, I've been playing this non-stop since Wednesday! At first I was really disappointed; load times were a joke, shadows looked terrible and the menus are a total mess.

But the loading times have reduced to (almost) acceptable levels, and I can handle the shadows issues. I'm still disappointed though - guess I was always going to be...but I just keep thinking (and this is by no means a new thought among those playing) WHERE DID THE 6 YEARS GO??

It's all covered in this thread so no details needed, but it is very odd. There are so many odd decisions on show - e.g. 6 identical racecar skylines, but only 5 BMWs total to buy in the dealerships. What is that about?

I get it, its a Japanese developer. But come on, the balance is off. This isn't a finished game. Christ, Grand Prix 4 was more finished than this and they knew it was being canned before it was finished....

Soldato
Loving the game up to this point.

Doing the Events as i'm level 13, sailed through the 1st two stages and now i'm on the Top Gear Test Track...

My God, I actually feel like killing someone.

Who thought it would be a good idea to use VW camper vans? Bet they were like; ''Now what would be a 'fun' idea to use on the TG track..?'' Other guy; ''OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! Let's let them use camper vans lolololololololololololololo, it'll be MEGA FUN and super coolzor lololololololoolooloolol!!!!!''

And don't even get me started on the Lotus challenge, the car handles like it's on ice...

Soldato
Watched the giantbomb quick look and this game looks janky. the loading times, the bugs, the menus ect. Think I'll buy need for speed hot pursuit instead.

My taste in games has changed so much. I must have spent a good 100 hours in GT2 on the PS2 back in the day.

Go for it you'll probably find NFS more fun at this point anyway, I know I am.

Soldato
They are patching the issues out. A game as big as this is bound to have teething issues.

Exactly.

Like GT5p, PD will be improving and adding things to make it better.

I've only been doing the licenses, but here are a few things I don't like.

Replays - The old games were much better at this. I could switch cars with 1 button press and the same with camera angles. I wish they would make it possible to spin around the car and had slo-mo too, like FM3.
I wanted Top-Gear camera angles on that track too.:mad:
I can't seem to find the zoom button either.

Tearing - It just shouldn't be there and I hate it.

Framerate drops- Again, they shouldn't be in a racing game.

I could say more but I'm off to play it.:D

Soldato
BUT! Just got my code from the rainforest for my Mazda 878B free car! woop woop, it's an insane car.

Fully take the point that it can be patched over time. All I would counter that with is that GT2 was probably technically tougher on PS1 hardware, and they knew patches weren't an option, so didn't need it. Something of the safety net these days?

Soldato
The time taken to model a GT2 car compared to a premium GT5 car must be pretty huge.

Got a feeling they have done a silly amount of research on those 200 premium cars also, As handling is pretty much spot on for the two I've actually driven IRL. Never used to be like that.

Associate
I have defeated the yellow Enzo! All gold International A Licence is mine!

Just did the same now, took quite a few attempts though. Fell in love with the Gallardo doing that test, such immense acceleration out of the corners, the power of 4WD cars exiting corners is delicious. I passed the Enzo on the left hander before the tunnel that leads to the bridge.

I'm at 49 golds out of the 50 tests I've tried (the FT86 slalom eludes me by 0.080). Haven't tried any of the S licence tests yet.

Game currently sitting at 33% complete and I'm level 16.

Despite it's shortcomings, the superb physics engine and fantastic tracks make the game thoroughly enjoyable. Really wish Sony would let me back up my save game though, the more time I invest in this the more I want a backup.

Back
Top Bottom