Joined the gym, help?

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm 18, skinny build, 5ft 7 yet have this weird 'beer' type belly that pertrudes out and some fat on my hips. I weigh around 10.5 stone/66kg. I've always been skinny yet over the past year have started putting weight on my belly area and it looks pretty horrid, like a middle aged man. My diet hasnt been great, i used to be able to eat anything and never gain weight but this changed in the last year. Since joining uni 2 months ago I hardly eat anything, definately less than 2000 calories a day but often end up eating at bad times like 10 at night which i guess is bad to do.

I'm just wondering of the best way to loose this belly fat, it feels about an inch if i tense then prod maybe less becuase of skin, a little more on the sides. I guess cardio is the best way? How much how often and what foods are best to eat? I also have access to a swimming pool. Note that i'm a student in catered halls with only a microwave to cook my own foods, everything else is served in the dinner hall which I have no control over.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
You can have a healthy diet with only a microwave to cook, thats not the issue. There are places that you can buy fresh produce from so you could do it quite easily.

Microwavable healthy meals!!

"low glycemic diet"

Jacket "Sweet" Potatoes - low sugar/salt "beans" - Cottage Cheese - Black Pepper!!

A low glycemic totally filling a lovely meal of the day!

Jacket Potato, Tuna, Sweet Corn!!!

another superb meal

Brown Rice - Salmon - Microwavable broccolli

another.

Porridge oats ( anytime meal )

Wholewheat bread (toasted) Organic low sugar low salt Peanut Butter... apparently combines as a superfood.

There are loads... if you want to lose the weight, you have to be dedicated and strict.

However, you have to lose the idea that by going to the gym you can actually target fat in certain area's of the body. Im afraid it just doesn't work like that. When you lose weight, you lose weight from everywhere. Unfortunately the hardest (because generally is the last) place to lose weight for most men is off the belly and sides as you described.

go to the gym every day (if you can) for 3 weeks. Train one body part each day and run for 5 - 10 minutes after each training session... if you complete those 3 weeks you will continue, if you dont, you won't.

all the best!!

Soldato
at your age you will naturally thicken out, it happens to pretty much everyone. i remember when it happened to me.

the way to get rid of your belly flab? RUN..... and lots of it, you stretch those muscles more then any weights can it will also improve your overal fitness aswell.

so if your in the gym try a 20 mins run of whatever speed just make sure your running not walking, and that you have to dig deep for the later half.

follow up with some basic weights by hand or machine and naturally make sure you warm up/stretch right at the start.

the whole thing should take about 45mins.

Soldato
For a new gym goer, i would think SS will be better for him to stick at as its easier to begin with. Although a variant of both is good, in the context here I think that ss is better.

Caporegime
hiit swim? Never heard anyone doing that before, must be mad :p

for me, I wouldn't do fasted am hiit, too much of an energy killer!
I got good results from doing fasted ss cardio, not tried non fasted am HIIT as it would mean being up silly oclock to feed myself :D

Back
Top Bottom