OcUK Photo Comp - Season Nine : Round Eleven - "Community" DISCUSSION

Associate
I was thinkin that some of the recent protests would be a great opportunity for this months theme. Sketch's is a nice photo, I know the guy is probably shouting some sort of meaningful chant, but I cant help thinking he's just having a big yawn.

Haha, I never even saw that!

"There's only one way to change government opinion on this issue..."

"Mass synchronised yawning!"

With that in mind are there any others from this set or this set (or indeed from anywhere else on the site for that matter) that you would choose instead? (no judge comments please :))

(site is still very much a WIP by the way but I don't want to host them elsewhere...)

Associate

Theres some good shots in there, in terms of for the 'community', from the first set I like the bottom one, the one looking at the coppers from behind the line of protesters and from the second set, the 4th, 8th and... the yawning one, the more I look at it, the more I like it, weird.

Associate
Interesting... I did think of using the last shot of the colour set, but I didn't feel it fitted the theme as well. I also considered the 4th one from the second set too!

I may yet change my entry tomorrow, I'd be interested to hear some more opinions.

Soldato
Another probable point scraper though I tried to add a bit of coherence to it...

The number of old, traditional terraced streets and communities that have been around for many generations are dying/being broken up/destroyed. All houses in this street are now unoccupied and earmarked for demolition.

What was once a thriving bustling community is now dead; RIP :(

I couldn't get the shot I had in my head as I didn't have a wide enough lens so this is the closest I could get. Not overly chuffed but still a learning curve as if it isn't difficult and you're not stretched then you don't learn :)

Soldato
Hi guys,
I don't want to clutter up the December discussion thread so I'll post this in here.
It seems my photo entries here aren't doing too well at the moment, bottom last month and disqualified this month :( I understand what was said in the other thread, however I only found the shot whilst walking to work this week and the first opportunity I had to take it was on the 30th when walking to work again. I spent a half hour on the way trying to get a shot and a half hour on the way home freezing my nuts off in the snow trying to get a half decent long exposure night shot, but they all came out like dog crap.
I checked the rules before spending time editing my pics after finding out I was suspended to see if I could get a friend to submit it on my behalf and I thought it would be okay.
It's not like I'm in this to win it, I'm just trying to improve my photography and get some feedback from people who are obviously well respected enough on this forum to be considered judges for these competitions.
I don't want to turn this into a discussion and fair enough I'm out, and if the judges don't want to mark my photo then fair play. But if the judge(s) could take 1 minute to mark it and provide feedback as if it was a normal entry putting aside all the disqualification stuff aside it would be appreciated, even if it is a **** photo and it doesn't count towards the comp as such. Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like where you were coming from with the picture content, mainly I guess as I had looked for a similar shot. We get canal boats down by me, and also quite a few in the docks. However when I went looking there were only a couple so not great for a community shot! You certainly didn't have that trouble :)

Soldato
I like where you were coming from with the picture content, mainly I guess as I had looked for a similar shot. We get canal boats down by me, and also quite a few in the docks. However when I went looking there were only a couple so not great for a community shot! You certainly didn't have that trouble :)

Cheers Rojin, I would have liked to spend more time waiting for the sky to to change to make it a bit more interesting, but only had a short window, 10 minutes before I arrived it was bucketing with snow too! Could have been cool.

Best thing to do would be to post it up in a new thread requesting the Judge's feedback :)

Cool, done :)

Really liking the idea for yours Nozz :D, some other really good entries too this month. Great timing with the swans on yours Mud. Are those sky and water colours natural or did you accentuate them with PP?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hi guys,
I don't want to clutter up the December discussion thread so I'll post this in here.
It seems my photo entries here aren't doing too well at the moment, bottom last month and disqualified this month :( I understand what was said in the other thread, however I only found the shot whilst walking to work this week and the first opportunity I had to take it was on the 30th when walking to work again. I spent a half hour on the way trying to get a shot and a half hour on the way home freezing my nuts off in the snow trying to get a half decent long exposure night shot, but they all came out like dog crap.
I checked the rules before spending time editing my pics after finding out I was suspended to see if I could get a friend to submit it on my behalf and I thought it would be okay.
It's not like I'm in this to win it, I'm just trying to improve my photography and get some feedback from people who are obviously well respected enough on this forum to be considered judges for these competitions.
I don't want to turn this into a discussion and fair enough I'm out, and if the judges don't want to mark my photo then fair play. But if the judge(s) could take 1 minute to mark it and provide feedback as if it was a normal entry putting aside all the disqualification stuff aside it would be appreciated, even if it is a **** photo and it doesn't count towards the comp as such. Thanks.

Welcome back :p We will publish comments for your image along with all the other entries but no marks, best I can offer you as there were so few entries this month.

Back
Top Bottom