Worse Premiership Managers

Soldato
OP
Yes, he brought him in.He also brought in Strachan, Dorigo, Sterland, Chapman, Fairclough, Lukic and Vinnie, among others. He also brought Gary Speed and David Batty through the Youth setup.

He's still the last homegrown manager to have won the top division, having won the old First Division with Leeds in 1992.

I think it's harsh to judge him on 5-6 months at Sunderland, when it is obvious he's had a lot of success.

He was notoriously hard on players, and it took a while to drill the standards and hard work into the Leeds players. I'm not surprised he didn't have an immediate impact on Sunderland.

At Sunderland he was terrible but he was doing a good job at Leeds!

I agree it is unfair to call him bad but it is the bitter taste in the mouth for Sunderland fans that tarnished his reputation.

Soldato
Was it Souness that signed the legend that is Ali Dia?

It was indeed Souness who signed Ali Dia after his agent told him he was George Weah's cousin, how he managed to get on the bench and then onto the pitch is a mystery. It all could have been very different though, few people remember that after replacing (ironically) Matt Le Tissier he had a very presentable chance that very nearly went in. How different his career might have been!

That aside Souness did a fantastic job at Saints bringing in some good players like Berkovic, ended up leaving when our notoriously tight chairman refused him transfer money!

Back on topic Saints have afew outstanding candidates for worst premier league manager, my choice would be Steve Wigley he ws truly terrible Gray was more unlucky and Sturrock was actually doing an ok job, if the chairman had just let him sell Beattie and Jason Dodd to reunite the dressing room we may still be a premiership team.

Soldato
If we are talking strictly premiership then it is tempting to say Brian Clough because that forest squad should never have been relegated, sadly he had fell into alcoholism and was not really in control. Still, one of the greatest managers ever!

Aside from that I am very tempted to say Alan Shearer

Soldato
Wenger has to be the best the guy never spends and plays great football I think he is better than fergie cos he doesn't spend much and right now the worst has to be avram grant I miss Zola at west ham

Associate
Wenger has to be the best the guy never spends and plays great football I think he is better than fergie cos he doesn't spend much and right now the worst has to be avram grant I miss Zola at west ham

If you'd squandered £13m on Wiltord, £16m on Reyes and £8m on Jeffers, you'd be reluctant to spend big again!. His record in nurturing youth and imported talents is unquestionable, but he needs to start landing trophies......great football - yes, winning football? not yet.

Back
Top Bottom