Spec my mum a beginners book on photography

Soldato
My mum has recently come by quite a nice compact digital camera, the Sony TX7. She's a complete novice when it comes to photography, so I'd like to get a her a nice book which will talk her through composition and whatever other wizardry it takes to take nice photos!

The budget is about £15, I'm sure something good can be had for that!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Soldato
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Patterson.
(I heard its a good book, but probably more suited to SLRs.)

The 'Dummies' books tend to be well explained imo.

Associate
I wouldn't buy that book for a compact Tbh. Pretty useless for it and not that much stuff on composition.

+1

The number of times this book is recommended makes me wonder how many of those have actually read it and how many are just recommending it because it seems to be the universal beginners recommendation on many photography forums. Either way, Bryan Peterson is in the money :D

EDIT - For the record, I am in no way suggesting that the posters above have not read the book, or that it is a bad book because it isn't, it's just not really suited for cameras without manual controls...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we need a sticky entitled "understanding exposure; if you're after a book, buy this one".

Not to have a go at the OP but for the number of times this comes up, a quick search brings up over 100 separate threads where it's mentioned ...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think we need a sticky entitled "understanding exposure; if you're after a book, buy this one".

Not to have a go at the OP but for the number of times this comes up, a quick search brings up over 100 separate threads where it's mentioned ...

And yet I've read it 3 times and would still think it's useless for a compact. Most of it is on metering techniques which I doubt would interest his mother for more than a second. :)

I'd say take a look in your local bookstore for

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos

Better for tips on photo composition than a book on exposure and metering for a compact :)

Soldato
OP
I had feared that everyone would recommend Understanding Exposure, I had done a search and seen it recommended, but when I looked it up it looks quite far from suitable for my mum.

Thanks dannyjo I'll have a look at The Photographer's Eye.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a complete beginner with a compact camera?

Soldato
Have a look at John Hedgecoe's 'Basic Photography'. It's written for film cameras but that's really only the first 20 pages. After that it's all about composition and technique. His other books like 'The New Manual of Photography (2009 updated edition)' are worth a look too.

Back
Top Bottom