Scottish Students need to stop whining!

Associate
Rant:

I'm a Scottish student. I got all my tuition fees paid. I've had a great education.

Scottish students are really getting my beef up. I mean what more do they want?

I have a lot of design/art mates on facebook because of my course/industry i work/study in. All are extremely into student moment and constantly update their FB with photos/videos of the protests.

I would understand if the protests were about equality; but all arguments are about increasing fees in England (which will have little effect on them)

If your a Scottish student I don't care why you are protesting, infact I think your an idiot. x

/rant

Associate
Cant agree more, although I do appreciate the fact I got a university education for what to me is free I could never stop wondering why Scottish students get that when a majority of the tax money to pay for it comes from England.

Though I think in the case of your facebook friends they just want to be a part of the moment or possibly looking into the future and realise that it could hit Scotland too.

Soldato
Do any students get their tuition fees paid in scotland or is it those born in scotland (or something)?

For example can someone from England choose Dundee uni, and get their tuition fee's paid for, or doesnt it work that way?

Associate
OP
Do any students get their tuition fees paid in scotland or is it those born in scotland (or something)?

For example can someone from England choose Dundee uni, and get their tuition fee's paid for, or doesnt it work that way?

English student studying in Scotland get a loan (up to 3,500 a year)

Scottish Students studying in England get a Loan

Scottish Domicile students get their fees paid.

Soldato
i think you would be required to have stayed in scotland for a period of time before starting the uni course, otherwise all of england/wales and foreigners would be able to get a free uni course

Associate
OP
So are they protesting about fees increasing for English universities?

I don't know. Everyone i've spoken to seems to have their own agenda.

Some moan about:

The future
Fairness
EMA cuts
Education Cuts in general
Standing up for others in the union
Clegg's broken promises

Its all speculation. Its all *******

If i were to have a beef it would be about postgrad funding, but lets not go there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What's wrong with that? They are protesting for their fellow students for one. We are one nation after all, it's not like they are travelling to another country (US) for example.

Soldato
So are they protesting about fees increasing for English universities?

They're protesting at the increased rates down south, which means the better academics will move to the higher paying universities. Also, it is rumoured that after the next Scottish parliament election we'll see either a small fee of £4000 a year or a graduate tax introduced.

English students currently pay about half the cost of English university fees when studying in Scotland.

Soldato
They're protesting at the increased rates down south, which means the better academics will move to the higher paying universities. Also, it is rumoured that after the next Scottish parliament election we'll see either a small fee of £4000 a year or a graduate tax introduced.

Are they protesting this point in particular, do you know, or is this the assumed agenda couched in a semblance of solidarity for English fee-payers? If the former, are they willing to pay university fees themselves to maintain a high calibre of staffing?

Back
Top Bottom