ACHI = BSOD

Soldato
Ok, ive got a Vertex 2 SSD. Windows 7 was installed when i had a 750i mobo but ive since changed to a P45 board.

I havent reinstalled windows and tbh this may well sove the problem but i dont want to reinstall until ive finished black ops so i dont have to start again :p

With the SATA mode set to IDE it boots and works fine, still as fast as on the 750i board, but when i change it to ACHI i get a BSOD on boot.

Any fix other than a reinstall?

Man of Honour
Windows (even win 7) doesn't usually like swapping from IDE to AHCI after its been installed, theres some ways to force it to work but your as likely to hose the install as get it working from my experience.

Soldato
OP
I dont hhink im far from the end of black ops so I will probably reinstall this week. Im assuming that if i change to ACHI mode then begin the windows 7 installation it wont BSOD?

Caporegime
Cant you backup your blackops profiles to another drive, flash drive etc. In the past ive done this on codmw to save my multi and single player profiles, saved games etc, prior to reinstalling windows.

Soldato
Windows (even win 7) doesn't usually like swapping from IDE to AHCI after its been installed, theres some ways to force it to work but your as likely to hose the install as get it working from my experience.

What a load of crap, for Windows 7 it's 1 registry setting, no chance of hosing the install at all. Done it many times.

Soldato
XP, Vista, 7.. They are all easy to switch between IDE and ACHI. XP/Vista just need a driver update, and reboot. Windows 7 just needs the drivers installing and a simple registry update, and then a reboot.

Virtually no chance of hozing your install, and I am pretty certain that you always have the option to switch back to IDE mode if you did something wrong during the change.

Man of Honour
What a load of crap, for Windows 7 it's 1 registry setting, no chance of hosing the install at all. Done it many times.

Depends entirely on your setup/controller. From experience of recovering peoples installs after they've tried to switch to AHCI with a new SSD I'd say theres still a moderate chance of things going wrong.

Man of Honour
Virtually no chance of hozing your install, and I am pretty certain that you always have the option to switch back to IDE mode if you did something wrong during the change.

BSOD or STOP mid boot even with safemode makes it a little hard to switch back - generally you can just swap the BIOS back to IDE and it will work fine, but not always.

Back
Top Bottom