• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer in April

Soldato
Don't understand this clingy socket phenomenon - a new CPU is a damn good excuse to splash out on a new mobo!

Especially once these funky UEFI ones come out with mega fast POSTs.

Whats so special about UEFI anyway, my Socket 775 intel board is done with POST in a couple of seconds from hitting the power button, and thats including the ACHI/Raid mode enabled.

Once post is done, the windows bootup will take just the same time on a UEFI board or a BIOS board.... So shaving a second or 2 compared to a decent current generation board. And if you use S3 sleep, almost no difference at all.

However, I agree with you about not understanding why people want to put the latest wiz bang processors in an older motherboard. I like my old 775 motherboard, but how much slower would the i7 9xx series be if it had to make do without its integrated tri channel memory, more bandwidth for PCIe lanes, faster SATA controller etc etc... the list of features that get added to new motherboard goes on...

Now if a desktop motherboard could be released with a really good hardware raid 5 controller, with a large battery backed up write cache (at least 128meg)

Last edited:
Associate
Whats so special about UEFI anyway, my Socket 775 intel board is done with POST in a couple of seconds from hitting the power button, and thats including the ACHI/Raid mode enabled.

Once post is done, the windows bootup will take just the same time on a UEFI board or a BIOS board.... So shaving a second or 2 compared to a decent current generation board. And if you use S3 sleep, almost no difference at all.
Well on this Asus P6T, it farts around for a good 15 seconds before Windows splash appears, and that's with all its SATA controller boot ROMs disabled.

UEFI mounts everything in parallel, and claims to do it as quick as 1.3s before handing over to Windows. Couple that with an SSD, and one could be at desktop from a cold boot in 20-25s. I've seen boot times like this around the net true, but those are heavily tweaked systems with little to no additional hardware connected.

Back
Top Bottom