Gmail rant!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I signed up for Grooveshark with just hte name "Jordan" when it first launched. The sheer amount of password reset emails I get is unbelievable.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I got a password reset email to my Gmail account the other day, thought it was a bit odd..

FWIW, I've got one which is my initials followed by 3 numbers, and then first initial and surname. Can't imagine having to use numbers in my web-based email addresses again. It looks unprofessional if you don't want to give out your ISP or work email.

Out of interest, how many people actually use their ISP email, linked to Outlook or whatever?

Soldato
I have always wanted to do this... but then when i want to reply to an email adrress doesnt it cause issues when they sent it to, for example [email protected] and you reply from [email protected]? Or is there an easy way to reply from [email protected]?

I would love to know where my spam comes from :)

It's fairly simple to add a new alias in gmail. Settings > Accounts, create a new account and it will send a verification email to you. Takes 30 seconds, or if I can't be bothered I'll just reply from an existing alias. For the cost of a domain it's worth it to just see if you can get on with it, but I still maintain it is the best thing I have done for email.

Associate
It's fairly simple to add a new alias in gmail. Settings > Accounts, create a new account and it will send a verification email to you. Takes 30 seconds, or if I can't be bothered I'll just reply from an existing alias. For the cost of a domain it's worth it to just see if you can get on with it, but I still maintain it is the best thing I have done for email.
That makes sense i guess, so your just using it on google domains?

Another thing that was putting me off is, dont catchall accounts get lots of spam on the domain anyway or is that not an issue?

Guess the way to do similar for free would be google plus addresses, but some sites wont accept the + in the address so id rather do it this way!

Soldato
That makes sense i guess, so your just using it on google domains?

Another thing that was putting me off is, dont catchall accounts get lots of spam on the domain anyway or is that not an issue?

Guess the way to do similar for free would be google plus addresses, but some sites wont accept the + in the address so id rather do it this way!

I don't think I am using Google Domains (not overly sure what it is?), I just point my *@domain.co.uk to my gmail account and then use my own SMTP server to avoid the 'on behalf of [email protected]' Google stick in the header.

I don't get any spam that isn't filtered by gmails own filtering system.

Man of Honour
Heh...having no imagination I picked mailaddress @ gmail.com. I get email forwarded on from all sorts, probably from folk following guides that use my address as an example.

Caporegime
Reminds me of day that Compuserve went live, way back. I snaffled admin@ and administrator@ (yes, they were that thick) and had a read of a lot of internal correspondence that I shouldn't have been privy to...for a few months.

Soldato
I'm wondering if it's a scam, they're trying to either make you give the account up due to the spam or they're using it and then emailing GMail trying to convince them that it's theirs "because I bin usin it for munfs, innit?".

As said above, i'm glad I use my nickname and not my real name.

Caporegime
If you ever switch ISP, you lose it. That's why.

This isn't always the case. In fact most ISP's will retain your email account if you leave them these days.

At work someone shares my surname and first name but with an extra letter. Both are common first names so it's easily done. What isn;t so easy is that even our own HR department doesn't know the difference and I've had emails regarding impending discipinary action as my 'namesake' is a team leader in another department!

Back
Top Bottom