F1 2011 world champion?

Soldato
They know they have a fast car from 2010 so just need to improve on the reliability. Something they missed out on by not taking part in winter testing last year.

Due to new rules etc they surely need to do fundamental changes just like majority of the grid - so I dont know how they can "know they have a fast car", and with KERS coming back , which Renault dont have - could make a lot of difference (given that percieved wisdom is Mercedes/McLaren had the best unit)

Soldato
Due to new rules etc they surely need to do fundamental changes just like majority of the grid - so I dont know how they can "know they have a fast car", and with KERS coming back , which Renault dont have - could make a lot of difference (given that percieved wisdom is Mercedes/McLaren had the best unit)
They don't have a fast car from 2010? How many poles did they get? How many races did they win? If Red Bull **** their 2011 car up I'll be very surprised. So apart from KERS, which they won't have, the stupid rear wing thing and the new tyres what have Red Bull to change?

Soldato
They don't have a fast car from 2010? How many poles did they get? How many races did they win? If Red Bull **** their 2011 car up I'll be very surprised. So apart from KERS, which they won't have, the stupid rear wing thing and the new tyres what have Red Bull to change?

They have to remove the double diffuser (which may also lessen the effect of their clever exhaust system too).

There are quite few big changes from 2010 to 2011, not the sort of things that will be just a few tweaks to the 2010, it's going to require redesigning pretty much the entire back end of the car for a start.

Caporegime
Ferrari and Red Bull's money will give Alonso and Vettel great chances. Down a bit, Schumacher and Rosberg combining with Brawn, the Mercedes money and that KERS unit will give both a shot at it.

But, for me, with the near zero knowledge we're working from, I'm backing Hamilton - he's too talented to go much longer without his second title.

Associate
I think Rosberg has a shot, I think he is a bit under-estimated. Provided they have put their development effort into the 2011 car early enough

Caporegime
Well alonso and Hamilton didn't have the best cars Hamilton would have won if it wasn't for those 2 non finishes at the end of the season for me I think it would be stupid to bet against alonso and hamilton they are both great drivers.

Vettel would have been about 100pts clear by that time if Red Bull didn't have such poor reliability in the first few races and he hadn't been such a homer in Turkey/Spa, he lost a hell of a lot more points than Alonso or Hamilton did thoughout the seaon.

If the Red Bull is as dominant next season I think Vettel will have the title sewn up with 6-10 races to go unless the car is still unreliable, but at the latter part of this season the Ferrari came on strong so I don't know if they'll be so dominant.

Man of Honour
If Ferrari can keep the pace they gained in the latter half of last season (Or perhaps just Alonso..Massa was useless) then I think it's Alonso's WDC.

Vettel is just a time trial driver, put him on pole and he races away. Useless at overtaking though, like when he took Webber out, totaly carried by the package of the car rather than ability.

Soldato
It's already been said, that the lack of adjustable front aero, will lead to serious instability problems as the race goes on, as the characteristics of the cars will shift wildly as the fuel loads get lighter, something that this year, drivers were able to compensate for as the pit wall dictated. Next year however, no adjustable aero, will mean that driver skill will become more important in holding the wibblywobbly cars on track.

Personally, I think that will play against Vettel, who seems to only really be comfortable when he is out in front with a car that is a class apart from the rest. Which I don't see the RB being.

My money is mostly on Hamilton/Alonso, who are without doubt, two of the best drivers out there, and I think that Button will continue to do well, and be slated by people here who will never accept him as being anything other than 'average'.

As a rank outsider, Kubica could have a good year if Renault give him a good car, and I'd like to say Kobayashi continue to develop as he seems to have the killer instinct that most modern drivers are lacking.

What I really would like to see, is an end to the "Okay, go to yellow 4, save fuel.." from about lap 3.. Force all cars to start with enough fuel on board to complete the race.

Soldato
I'm a Button fan, but frankly, if Hamilton is given a car even remotely decent he'll kick the **** out of everyone on the grid on the grounds that consistency aside, he's faster than everyone else by a mile. :)

Associate
My gut feeling (aka wishful thinking), is the McLarens and the Mercedes will have the pace initially.

Out of their four drivers Hamilton is the obvious contender, Rosbergs clearly good, Schumachers sadly a longshot and and Button was always going to get outclassed.

Soldato
I'm a Button fan, but frankly, if Hamilton is given a car even remotely decent he'll kick the **** out of everyone on the grid on the grounds that consistency aside, he's faster than everyone else by a mile. :)

and then he goes and throws away two or three decent results (even if its on tracks that McLaren isnt suited for) - and his results are only "average" over a season

Its proven that consistancy is key, especially with the new poiints system

Out of their four drivers Hamilton is the obvious contender, Rosbergs clearly good, Schumachers sadly a longshot and and Button was always going to get outclassed.

So how was Button outclassed this season then?

No reason at all to suggest that Button cant match Hamilton with consistancy (remember JB only failed to finish two races in 2010, Monaco (air box bung left in by engineer) & Spa (Vettel crashed into JB while 2nd/3rd) - against Hamilton's pace /tendency to crash

Out of interest - what was the last car/driver combo (in a championship chasing team) to finish every race in a season? (I have no idea I admit)

Last edited:
Associate
Feel free to correct me, this may be wrong.

Hamilton beat Button 13/6 in qualifying, 12/7 in race.

Buttons only wins were achieved in mixed weather conditions, the first being more the result of desperation and luck than ability. Of Hamiltons DNFs i can only think of one that's directly his fault, Italy/Massa, Singapore was at best 50/50 at worst Webbers fault with the onus on him to back off because Hamilton was ahead and had the racing line.

I agree with you about points and consistency, Alonso and Schumacher have both demonstrated the ability to beat quicker cars and win championships by simple doing more laps.

Schumacher 2002 finished every race, i watched them, but looking at the stats now, :/ wow, 11 wins out of 17 and his lowest finishing position 3rd. If i wasn't a Schumacher fan i suspect i'd have switched the tele off.

Soldato
Hamilton beat Button 13/6 in qualifying, .

Irrelevant - qualifying gives no extra points (yes it helps admittedly, and JB has to improve in this regard, but quali itself means nowt :)

12/7 in race..

Its the points that matter most imo - but even so this was LH's 4th season with the team, built around him (and with a car built much more for him from the last few seasons) and who was expected to totally trounce JB

It was actually lucky for LH that Vettel DID take out JB at Spa, imagine how close it would have been if JB had finished 2nd that day........8 points between them at the end of the season after 19 races......from the new guy in the team :)

Buttons only wins were achieved in mixed weather conditions, the first being more the result of desperation and luck than ability. Of Hamiltons DNFs i can only think of one that's directly his fault, Italy/Massa, Singapore was at best 50/50 at worst Webbers fault with the onus on him to back off because Hamilton was ahead and had the racing line..
Discredit JB all you want to - he still had to go out and do it, in tricky conditions - and he did it better than anyone else

If anything he should be PRAISED for doing it in such conditions - as its those that make the racing more interesting, not with sun drenched tracks all race or constant track conditions

Hamilton pushes bad track positions all the time - and not only that but yes I would honestly say that him trying to push Webber mid-season (the championship leader no less) in that position was only going to end one way - with LH coming off worst or equally worst - Hamilton wasnt ahead at all and not only that MW couldnt have possibly seen him in that position

Hamilton has a history of doing risky moves - and he doesnt seem to be learning from them either (which is more concerning)

Soldato
If Ferrari can keep the pace they gained in the latter half of last season (Or perhaps just Alonso..Massa was useless) then I think it's Alonso's WDC.

Vettel is just a time trial driver, put him on pole and he races away. Useless at overtaking though, like when he took Webber out, totaly carried by the package of the car rather than ability.

lol

Back
Top Bottom