BenQ XL2410 120Hz 3D LED official thread

Soldato
just received this from one of the guys at benQ

aols1g.jpg

so going by this 120hz is supported at certain resolutions in hdmi and vga

Associate
I'm a little confused by the review on flatpanelhd then "BenQ XL2410T also comes bundled with some Zowie equipment." See the picture below.

I'm guessing this a "reviewers sample"

/edit: Beaten to it Thanks

Soldato
How stiff is the monitor when you rotate it and put into portait mode? Have you found a use for the recessed rectangle in the centre of the stand base? Just checking I'm not being too pedantic on certain issues and would like to compare your views to the initial impressions of myself and a colleague.

Last edited:
Associate
its fairly stiff, but not too bad, mines still really cold from the delivery van/depot xD
and my desk gets filled with clutter, so recess will get filled with junk :D. wouldnt say the base was as good as my old dell 20", but its not horrible either

gonna shut down pc and set it up :)

Soldato
Sorry but I do not agree much with the review by flatpanels!
I have a Benq XL2410T and I can actually say that the FPS video mode is not correct.
But Mr. Rasmus Larsen grossly mistaken when he says that the settings can be made only in mode gamers 1-2.
It is not true!!!!!
In fact, these settings can be easily done also in Standard mode and Eco.
I set my Benq through the standard mode which allows me to make all possible settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness, gamma, color, RGB, etc etc.....
I do not understand why the reviewer did not do the test with the Standard mode as it has done previously with other 3D monitor 120 hz ....
Maybe not like the brand Benq??
:confused::confused:

You are absolutely correct. I have tested the settings and tinkered about extensively. No matter what you do in the 'user game modes' the image looks horrible - this is a very important point because it would put a very negative slant on things.

I would just like to say that using standard mode I have managed to achieve quite pleasing results on the XL2410T. I lowered the contrast and brightness somewhat and re-balanced the colours to get rid of the teal cast (my panel is too strong in blue and green). It isn't perfect but it's actually pretty damn good as far as TN panel monitors go. The image has a pretty good level of vibrancy without looking too oversaturated or in any way washed out. There is a fine line between the image looking 'dull' and oversaturated and for a gaming monitor the latter is slightly preferable. With the settings I'm using the colours are a tad oversaturated but by no means dull and for a TN panel this is quite normal. Anybody considering this monitor should be aware of this as it will no doubt make a huge difference to anybody's view of the overall package if they have been disappointed by the FlatPanelsHD review. :)

Last edited:
Associate
You are absolutely correct. I have tested the settings and tinkered about extensively. No matter what you do in the 'user game modes' the image looks horrible - this is a very important point because it would put a very negative slant on things.

I would just like to say that using standard mode I have managed to achieve quite pleasing results on the XL2410T. I lowered the contrast and brightness somewhat and rebalanced the colours to get rid of the teal cast (my panel is too strong in blue and green). It isn't perfect but it's actually pretty damn good as far as TN panel monitors go. The image has a pretty good level of vibrancy without looking oversaturated or in any way washed out. Anybody considering this monitor should be aware of this as it will no doubt make a huge difference to anybody's view of the overall package. :)

Thanks for that info. PCM2! It is looking likely that I will get this monitor. I want a monitor with 120Hz, and I cannot imagine a 120Hz TN panel coming out putting this BenQ to shame. Now to decide whether I should invest in Nvidia Vision :D

Soldato
It's been a while since I've used a 120Hz monitor. I've spent about 10 minutes just moving the mouse cursor around the screen watching how smooth it is. It just feels so different. :D

Associate
With the settings I'm using the colours are a tad oversaturated but by no means dull and for a TN panel this is quite normal. Anybody considering this monitor should be aware of this as it will no doubt make a huge difference to anybody's view of the overall package if they have been disappointed by the FlatPanelsHD review. :)

Would be interested to know the settings you think are best for gaming on this monitor PCM2.

So far for me getting the balance between 'dull' and 'oversaturated' seems to be a bit of a knife edge. I'm sure this monitor can look very good with some tinkering though.

I've had 3 or 4 hours to tinker with mine and in general I'm pleased with it. I bought the monitor purely for gaming and surfing and this is obviously where this monitor is most at home. I'm no expert but I'd say if you are looking for a monitor for movies or photo editing etc. there are better ones than the XL2410 out there. In games though, the 2D 120hz mode really makes for very smooth, high frame rates even with vsync on, theres no tearing and I don't detect any sort of lag or ghosting. I've tried it with DCS A10c, FSX, and had a quick blast on Mafia 2 which seems to look much better on this monitor over my old Samsung 226BW (Guess I'd be pretty pi**ed if it didn't!). To sum up, if you're a hard core gamer then this monitor is worth a look and well worth the money (at OCUKs' new price anyway! :D). As it wouldn't be a huge outlay, I'm tempted to give the 3D a go at some point.

Other stuff:-

I like the monitors clean and understated looks.

Lot's of tilt, swivel, height, options.

Viewing angles are not great IMO.

Some bleed around the edges but not too bad.

You'll need to spend some time setting up to your taste. Some of the presets must have been configured by Mr Magoo!

I'll say again, for games this monitor is smoooooooth!

The above are my observations after a couple of hours so I'd wait for PCM2s' review if you're still on the fence about this one.

Cheers. T9

My system:- [email protected], Asus Rampage Formula, 4GB RAM, GTX480 with Zalman VF3000F cooling. Corsair 600T.

Last edited:
Associate
took awhile getting mine setup and redoing desk, ive shoehorned in 3 monitors now :D
the viewing angle isnt great, but it isnt horrific either :), im estimating 40degrees either side of the centerline is a useable/ok angle colour blanence is off offcourse, but for just reading something, its ok :).

its not like a awful laptop tn screen :D

Soldato
Would be interested to know the settings you think are best for gaming on this monitor PCM2.

Sure no problem. At the moment we are using these settings and they are as good as we can get them. We've also run through the calibration process using a Pantone Huey Pro and actually the image ended up pretty similar but to our tastes a little too dull and hence worse for gaming (not that they generally pay attention to ICC profiles anyway):

Brightness= 58 (mainly for gaming, lower for extended periods on desktop as this is pretty bright)

Contrast= 56 (oddly reducing this to 52 completely messes up gamma and anything above heavily oversaturates on our unit). This monitor seems very sensitive to small changes in contrast.

Red= 95
Green= 92
Blue= 90

Last edited:
Associate
Sure no problem. At the moment we are using these settings and they are as good as we can get them. We've also run through the calibration process using a Pantone Huey Pro and actually the image ended up pretty similar but to our tastes a little too dull and hence worse for gaming (not that they generally pay attention to ICC profiles anyway):

Brightness= 58 (mainly for gaming, lower for extended periods on desktop as this is pretty bright)

Contrast= 56 (oddly reducing this to 52 completely messes up gamma and anything above heavily oversaturates on our unit). This monitor seems very sensitive to small changes in contrast.

Red= 95
Green= 92
Blue= 90

Many thanks mate, I'll give these a shot.

Back
Top Bottom