Astra VXR

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;17958457 said:
Just think how great this thread would have been if it wasn't for the 'get offended on behalf of everyone else' squad yet again. The OP took our advice, drove plenty of cars and found out for himself that there are better cars.

The problem with this forum are the people who love to pick fault in the way others put opinion across - not the people putting those opinions across - as this thread has pointed out.

The Focus ST is an excellent car - you've made a great choice :)

I need to drive the ST again before making up my mind. While the straight line performance was plenty, because im not used to turbo cars, and it was wet, i took it fairly easy on the corners. When i drove the clio i was completely at ease with the car, and the conditions were dry, and because of this had the most fun tbh. Deep down, as weird as it sounds, i think i actually liked the clio the best, but want the ST more because its quicker? I think a test drive again in both is needed. The interior of the ST was so dull, not what i would expect from a hot hatch. The clio felt better made, and was a lovely place to sit. What can i say, i like small french cars :D

Man of Honour
I need to drive the ST again before making up my mind. While the straight line performance was plenty, because im not used to turbo cars, and it was wet, i took it fairly easy on the corners. When i drove the clio i was completely at ease with the car, and the conditions were dry, and because of this had the most fun tbh. Deep down, as weird as it sounds, i think i actually liked the clio the best, but want the ST more because its quicker? I think a test drive again in both is needed. The interior of the ST was so dull, not what i would expect from a hot hatch. The clio felt better made, and was a lovely place to sit. What can i say, i like small french cars :D

The Clio is the more fun car - there is little doubt there. What you've got to weigh up now is what you are buying. Just a toy, or an all rounder that'll also be nice to drive in the rain to work, or down the Motorway, or whatever.

If you just want a toy, the choice is clear - buy the Clio. If you want a fun all rounder, then get the ST :)

Soldato
The ST-3 is better inside than the ST-2 IMO, I know the leather ain't best leather you can get in a car, bu I still think it makes the inside a better environment.

The ST a pre-facelift or facelift you're looking at?

Soldato
Good lord, glad I pressed the issue rather than succumb to the over defensive vauxhall brigade and offensiveness police. Good outcome!

Associate
Makes me laugh really does half the guys on here couldnt even afford a VXR or a ST or what ever car folk post about
so if he wants a VXR go for it .
I Adore my NEW ASTRA 60 PLATE SRI 1.6 TURBO 180 bhp
if the made a VXR in the new shape i would have bought one
if they do make one in the MK 6 ASTRA J version i will be buying one for sure
:D:D:D

Soldato
Makes me laugh really does half the guys on here couldnt even afford a VXR or a ST or what ever car folk post about
I Adore my NEW SRI 1.6 TURBO if the made a VXR in the new shape i would have bought one if they do make one in the MK 6 ASTRA J version i will be buying one for sure

Your thread reading skills are a 2/10 at best.

OP asked about th VXR, he was encouraged to look at other cars, he did and found he didnt like it after all. That's omitting all the useless drivel like your post, but that was the outcome

Associate

Hardly relevant anyone who's over 18 and a job at Bugler King could get one, 8 grand is hardly a lot of money if someone wanted it that bad!

But to the op good choice if I was in the market for a hot hatch it would be near the top of the list!

Last edited:
Associate
Test drove the VXR first this morning. Loved the outside, liked the inside, although the visibility wasn't very good. Driving it, this is where my praise stops. Don't get me wrong, powerful car, but it puts it down so badly. The torque steer was barely there in straight lines, but powering out of corners the thing was silly. It felt twitchy with minimal feedback, and tbh apart from the "whooo power", wasn't that fun to drive. Low speed driving wasn't any better either, seemed jerky at low speeds when changing gear, and accelerating softly without boosting away was hard, but i guess something that you would learn to control.

----
and while the VXR was wheel spinning everywhere the ST just seemed to cope with it all?

Were you driving it in sport mode ? This takes more than a test drive to get used to.

Enjoy the purchase, nice cars :D

Guess you just weren't VXR enough

Man of Honour

Yes, what an excellent comment, fully grounded in fact. I dont think many of us would have a problem affording a Vauxhall Astra

He doesnt now, he's driven one and found it to be sub standard.

Thats great, I'm really thrilled for you. Personally I'd be upset if I found one in my parking space when I rented from Hertz let alone buying one, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Caporegime

He no longer wants one. He enjoyed the Focus ST more :)

Soldato

He found the car to be bad, much like your posts are bad.

Caporegime
So yes, my favourite car before is now my least favourite, and my least favourite is now my no.1! Offered a good deal on the ST, just gotta wait for the insurance money to come through :D

excellent to see you found the same when you drove it.

The corsa VXR felt much enjoyable to drive, like the power output was suited to the chassis, something that the astra doesnt feel like.

Soldato
OP
This is identical to the interior of the ST i looked at, so boring when compared to the R27.

s0fordfocusstunesportiv.jpg

Man of Honour
Can someone post an R27 interior for comparison? I'm not the biggest fan of a Ford interior but I can't see it being hugely more boring than a Clio.

Back
Top Bottom